SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jan09_gw

parents of estranged adult children

jan09
16 years ago

I too have been where all of you are. I am so happy to have found a site that seems to be "a need" in so many others lives as mine. I have felt so alone. My situation is somewhat different. I have three sons all of whom are in some form or other estranged from my husband myself and my only daughter. For three years now I have been in this difficult situation. I have never felt so low in my life. Until recently..... I made up my mind ( with my husbands help) to just walk away from all the pain. It has been horrible as many of you have witnessed for yourselves. I am lucky to have at least a good support group surrounding me. Many of you do not, I am sorry. But, here is where many of us can help each other now. I had (what I thought to be ) a wonderful daughter in law. She is now, in my eyes, the devil in disguise. At least If could blame her enitrely I would but, i can't not really, not totally. My son must be weak to allow her to destroy the beautiful family I thought I had raised. Because I stuck up for her to my son, I now have no communication with my grandchildren or my son or his two brothers ! The details are simple. My son wanted to leave her. His words were "She is a liar ! Everything that comes out of her mouth is a lie and she steals too !" (She stole a large sum of money from her mother and also from my son.) Knowing he loved her I said to him "Go back to her and your children. They are your family now. You would never be happy without them. " WEll, now I don't see any of them. And I believe my DIL turned my other son's and their girlfriends against me too. The funny thing is no one will talk about it ! My husband and I and my daughter don't even know what we did to deserve the treatment we are getting. And, when questioned nothing substantial ever comes out of their mouths, then they run away and stay gone. It just seems these kids (not really kids any longer) don't want to be held accountable for their actions ! They take the easy way out of everything ! By not confronting the problem it doesn't exist ! What a cowardice way to live as far as I am concerned. I am sick of it all. I will no doubt find a family deserving of my generosity this Christmas to spoil. My son's have taken my checks I send, cash them and never even let me know they received them ! No even a Thanks ! I cannot reward bad behaviour any longer. Overwith !! My daughter has been my saving grace. She is so much more mature than my sons. And, I never saw this before. What a difference. I know how I raised my sons and saw my mother go thru the same thing with six sons. DIL's can be so jealous of the relationships their husbands have with their mothers. I don't understand this as I have always had a wonderful realtionship with my mother in law. I will welcome any comments.... thanks for listening. Jan

Comments (70)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH