SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paminil

Speaking of Gifts and Family Members...

pamm
22 years ago

I know it is human nature to be sensitive about fairness and gift giving. I have a situation where I'm not sure which way to go. My brother, whom I am very close to re-married last year. His ex-wife remains one of my dearest friends and I am working at forming a friendship with my "new" SIL, or I should say *we* are working at forming that friendship. I have met her once and we occasionally exchange e-mails and have talked on the phone a few times.

My problem is that my brother and ex-SIL have 3 children who have always meant the world to me. They range in age from 11 to 17. My new-SIL has 2 young children whom I have never met. They are 3 and 7. I have made it a point to send birthday gifts and such and consider them to be my niece and nephew as well.

In the interest of fairness, part of me says that all 5 children should get an "equal" gift. The other part of me thinks that by doing so it sort of sends the message to my "original" nieces and nephew that they are not as special as I have made them feel all of these years. Am I making any sense here? I'm really torn over this and want to do the right thing for all involved. My dear MIL has suggested that I should acknowledge my "new" niece and nephew with a gift, but, not to the extent of the others. After searching my heart I think she is probably right, but, am still not 100% convinced either way.

Has anyone else faced this type of situation? What are your thoughts, please share them with me. ~Pam

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County