Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nostalgias of Motherhood

Posted by lov2garden (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 1, 02 at 11:47

I feel like such a nut! Every time I clean out drawers and closets, I come across little snipettes of my children. A photo, greeting card, some artwork. And I cry. I'm not sure why. I see my children at younger ages and I think I realize that those days are gone, those little people has transformed and I will never be able to hug them again, listen to their stories, play with them, laugh with them, watch them discovering life as if is a wonderful adventure. My memories are vivid and I can easily recall each of them at different ages since they were born...I can hear their voices and remember them clearly. It all went by so fast. My sons are now 18 and 21. We are very close and I am so proud of the way they are growing up.

I'm not sure why I find myself mourning over the early years that are gone now. I miss them and I guess I didn't want those magic years to end. Sometimes I feel blue for hours afterward and tears continue to fall. Who else can understand this? I am writing here in hopes there are others.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nostalgias of Motherhood

Yes, it does happen. I was ok until it was the high school senior year for my oldest. She would be leaving for college, and I knew our home life would never be the same. Now all have left for college and then moved out on their own. I count it a good holiday when they all can come home. Their presence is the only gift I want.

o

My daugher is almost 13 & I can relate to how you're feeling. I look at the outfits or pictures & remember how I was the center of her universe.

She's still a precious child, but there's a difference in chubby baby girl toddling across the room to give you a hug & a long legged girl almost as tall as I am!

o

I feel the same way about my boys, 21 and 17. Actually, I remember being in labor with my second son and feeling sad and melancholy during delivery. I was thinking "this will probably be my last child. I'll never experience this again." I was one of those who enjoyed being pregnant and feeling life. And I knew that as the years went by, the memory of what it felt like would fade. I think the holidays make those memories even stronger. It is very emotional to watch your children grow, isn't it? I feel all mixed up sometimes with pride and sadness. We are truly blessed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here