SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bingmom

Should I end a Friendship?

bingmom
12 years ago

Hi. I am new to this site but I have a question tonight that I'm hoping you all can help me with.

I have a friend that I have been close to for about 3 years. We work together in our school's PTA and so a lot of our friendship has been built around that. Our kids are about the same age and she wants them to play together all the time. The problem is that her children are very rude.

For example, a few months ago I was at her house with one of my daughters who is two years older than her daughter. They were downstairs playing house when my DD came running in saying that the little girl had slapped her. My DD arm was red and it was obvious she was telling the truth. I asked what was going on and the my DD said the little girl was the "Mom" and that she needed to spank my DD for being naughty. She had hit my daughter on the arm with a spatula and then kept spanking her. My friend put her DD in time out but then went on and on about how embarrassed she was. I thought kids will be kids, lets say we're sorry and move on. But that wasn't the end. The next day she called and said my daughter was lying and called our other PTA friends and told them all about her version of the story. Why she did that I have no idea.

Then we had a bunch of my kids friends over to make cookies last week. I invited my friend and her kids. The only boys there were hers and her son was very rude to me and all the other children there. He was irritated that the girls were playing games because he wanted to watch a movie. He has an attitude that he is too cool for anyone else and we need to accommodate him and his desires at all times. He is quick to make fun of others and his mother laughs and even starts making fun of other adults and children with him.

I know she gossips about me and others but at the same time I know she cares about me and I do care about her as well. She is really my only friend, which at 35 is kind of pathetic, but she's the only person I can call and talk to or go get lunch with. I would be so lonely without her but I don't know how to deal with the differences in our children. Her son had my daughter in tears and said to her,"Everyone thinks your a freak. If you want to runaway I'll pack your bags." He's 12 and she's 10. That devastated her as she has a crush on him and well, it would be hurtful no matter what.

Also I'm afraid to do anything. If you've seen "The Help" and know who Hilly is you know my friend. I will be the PTA president next year and without her support I'm honestly scared to do it.

How do I handle this situation? Any advice would be so welcome!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner