Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
It's hard being an adult child

Posted by cloudsgrey (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 23, 13 at 0:38

Hi, I am 34, I have been in and out of my parents house. I live in their garage, which is converted into a room. I live on social security money, no job, and have a severe case of Bi Polar 2. I have been in and out of hospitals. I am writing to say that my living situation is not a good one, I do not have a nice relationship with my mother. I do am co dependent. Everything that I am is everything that I don't want to be. I want to have a job. But I have been jobless for many years now that I have no experience, and I suffer panic attacks. I do not get enough money to live on my own. I haven't been lucky enough for any rooms to come up. I have now pretty much turned into an adult baby. When I was 18 I thrived, I moved out of the house and lived on my own for years. But my bi polar got worse and mania became an issue and I lost my job. If anybody has any advice for me it would be great. I did sign up for some classes to get my mom out of my hair. I am seriously afraid my life will be like this forever. I don't like putting my parents through this.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's hard being an adult child

Hi Cloudsgrey

I'm sorry you are going thru this. I have a family member that is bi-polar so I kind of understand your situation. Do you receive counseling? The worse thing you can do is shut yourself off from others.

I know that getting your meds stablized is so important. Keeping you in my thoughts.And hoping you can get the right kind of help.

o

thank's yes, I go to group counseling, am on meds, but the depression is really thick.

o

Hi cloudsgrey

What sort of job did you used to have ?

Have you thought of some sort of volunteer job, just to get your confidence up and just to get out of the house for a while ?

I work in a plant nursery where there are lots of volunteers, you can do as much or as little as you like and everyone is accepting and laughs and chats. We sit around and have morning tea as well. Perhaps something like that could be considered.

I am sorry that I don't have a complete understanding of your issues but chatting here at this forum could be a ray of sunshine for you.

Take care.

o

I have a nephew who is about 30 and in the same situation you're in. He's a bit worse off with his mental health issues though.
His mom got him into volunteering at animal shelters. You'd be amazed at how much an animal can lift your spirits with just a wag of the tail or (in the case of cats) a rub of the head on your leg. Volunteering can lead to a job if you're not too bad off like my nephew. A word of advice, talk as little as possible when you're feeling yourself losing control. The less you say, the more normal you'll seem. Men can get away with being the "strong silent type" and no one gives it a second thought. Do what you have to do to get along at home too because you're better off there.
He also does some therapeutic horseback riding. I don't know if you have access to anything like this but it might be worth looking into.

o

Have you been checked for nutritional deficiencies? I know a deficiency of B-12 can cause certain symptoms.

Links that might be useful:

chriskresser.com/b12-deficiency-a-silent-epidemic-with-serious-consequences

www.alternativementalhealth.com/articles/bipolartreatment.htm

psychcentral.com/lib/vitamins-for-bipolar-disorder/000889

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here