SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
darkstar_gw

please give me advice on my 12 year old-long

darkstar
22 years ago

My daughter just turned 12. She has always been the most thoughtful considerate child. Responsible in her school work (an excellent student) and kind. Did anything I asked immediately. I have always given her room to make choices because she was always responsible. Since she has turned 12 and gone into middle school (sixth grade) she is so selfish. Not even cleaning her room when told. It is basically the only chore she has during school so she has time for band and homework etc. She get's defensive the minute I make a suggestion about anything. Says I am nagging when she hasn't done something (take her clothes out of the bathroom and to laundry room)on the third time. She has let some school work slide because she doesn't like it. For the most part her grades are still good. She isn't hanging out with new friends(or a bad group) and is definately not doing drugs etc. Just turned into a selfish brat. After giving me a hard time about cleaning her room she is asking if I can drive her some place. I am coming down harder with consequences etc. I just don't know if this is typical behaviour for this age.She did start her period in August so I am sure hormones are raging. I feel a bit shut out, we have always been so close and now she won't even tell me when I need to buy her tampons. She writes notes. everything is hidden and private. I have 2 other daughters who are 7 and 9 so I hope this isn't the way it is with 12 year olds (and up) Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!