Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Teen Driving

Posted by sadler_mkb (sadlerkids@alltel.net) on
Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 22:20

Is there any way you track your teens driving. My 16 year old has began driving and I want to be able to keep an eye on her. I can not afford one of the devices that cost a monthly fee, but I want something for her to know I can check her out at any time. Any advice is needed!!!!!!

Thank You,

sadler

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Teen Driving

Have you gone on line to check? Our old insurance company had a program where they would have a camera installed in the car and it would record what was going on in the car. If you are in the US the insurance co. is named American Family. If you enroll in the program the cost of the camera and installation are free.

o

Guess I'm lucky--in our state you have to be 17 to get your license, and then you have a lot of restrictions for the first year.

Beyond that--just because a 16 or 17 year old has a license, DOESN'T mean they have free rein to take the family vehicle (at least it doesn't to me). Even though dd had her license we STILL drove her to work. Even when she went to college--until she was able to buy her own car--I dropped her off. Several reasons--no way am I giving up my car so a teen can go cruising around the countryside. While the law may say a 17 year old is old enough to drive--it ALSO says that a parent is financially responsible if that teen does any damage with the car. Lastly, and most importantly, just practicing for a month or 2 and passing the driver's test does NOT convey expert driver's status on anyone. I felt my dd needed more practice than that. Even though she had her license, it was a long time before she was allowed to take the car by herself--she often drove when one of us was in the car with her, but we didn't just hand over our keys.

It's your choice to do as you wish, but if your finances are tight, as you imply--you may want to sit down with your insurance agent and discuss just how much responsibility you have if your daughter causes damage, or one of her friends gets hurt while riding with her, or if one of her friends borrows your car (with or without her permission--it happens frequently). Just make sure what your responsibilities are as the parent of a driver who is still not a legal adult.

o

You could always keep track of the mileage. I wouldn't give her the car to go out with friends, only to run small errands.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here