Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
About a Cold

Posted by hoakie2601 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 23, 08 at 20:51

My granddaughter lives with us and me and my husband do not agree many things but this 1 thing has caused the issue this wekk! I want your opinion please.

This last week we had a chilly day in Florida. I asked my gd to wear long sleeves and a hoodie jacket to school. She already had a cold. I was in a big hurry that morning and did not see that she wore short sleeves unser this hoodie. I asked her since we did not have time to go back home to wear her hoodie all day.

Upon picking her up she was not wearing the hoodie. I was not happy about this beacuse most of the kids where still in jackets. I would say it was in the mid to high 60's.

My husband told her tonight that he agreed with her. I thought that when you have a cold you should stay bundled up. So he told her to just do what I say when I am she knows I am going to be around to appease me.

I am not worried about the what he said to her about appeasing me but I would like to know what you think as mothers and fathers and staying bundled up to prevent getting a worse cold.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: About a Cold

Nothing to do with it....if you are not chilled and shivering ( which indicated a fever) being bundled up has no bearing on your cold.
Drinking lots of water and eating foods rich in vitamine C and A is a lot more relevant.
Linda C

o

Your husband told your granddaughter to lie to you (say yes to your face and then do what she wants behind your back)? Yeah, I'd have a major issue with that. I don't have an issue with someone wearing a short sleeve shirt when it's in the high 60s, sick or not. But you told her to do something, and she should have done it.

Why was she going to school with a cold?

o

Kids always go to school with colds! A minor cold can linger on for quite a few days and not be so bad you need to stay in bed.

I am from the midwest and a day in the mid sixties you would probably see lots of kids in t-shirts.

I do not think it will affect the cold much.

But I do not like your husbands statements about doing things only when your around. It is teaching her to be sneaky.

o

Hi Hoakie!

I agree with what everyone above said.

1. Not wearing a coat will not make you sicker.
2. 60 degrees is not too cold to be in short sleeves.
3. What was she doing going to school if she was sick.
4. She should have listened to you and worn the hoodie.

And the biggest concern for me:

"Your husband told your granddaughter to lie to you (say yes to your face and then do what she wants behind your back)?"

"But I do not like your husbands statements about doing things only when your around. It is teaching her to be sneaky."

o

Ok first of all. This was a cold she had had for about a week already. She was at the end of it. Just still a sore throat and runny nose. No fever. So going to school was not a problem. Also she is one of those children that wants perfect attendance and if I had thought she was real sick I would have insisted that she stay home.

This was our first cold snap here and I thought she should stay bundled up to keep from getting sick all over again. I was always taught that when you are sick you stay bundled up to keep from getting sicker. Remember I am from Florida and 60 degrees is close to our winters! Today it was in the 70's and she has had a long sleeve short on all day saying she was chilly. So explain that!

About my husband I talked to him this morning and told him how I felt. I was not happy with the remark and he told me he would talk to her about it. I told him the damage was done. I am not happy about this at all. I am on the verge of leaving because of all this.

These children are of no blood relation to either of us. They are his last wifes grandkids that passed away. (his step grandkids) They spend more time with me than with him and the gd had no respect for me at all. I am sick of all of it and this was about the thing that pushed me over the limit.

Time will tell that happens here. Things have to change!

But thanks for all the post I am open for any remarks to ehelp me out here!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here