Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silly Me

Posted by popi (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 18, 08 at 17:51

I recently went to see Mama Mia with my 21 year old daughter. Such a happy film, I was singing along enjoying myself, feeling elated.

Then Meryl sang "Slipping Through My Fingers". Tears rolled down my cheeks, I could not believe how that song pulled on my heart strings. It took me back to my little girl, sitting next to me, thoughts of getting ready for school, playing with her, my little angel. I felt so emotional, in amongst all this happy jolly film.

I now have the cd and often put the songs on whilst making the dinner. When that song comes on, I feel the same old sadness again.

I guess that sadness of the time lost is always lurking around in the background, for me.

Does this song affect anyone else in this way, or am just a nut !

Here is a link that might be useful:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silly Me

I honestly don't know that song. But there is one, "Have I Told You Lately That I Love You," it gets me every time. When DS#1 was in preschool, his teachers taught the kids to sing that for a Mother's Day program. Jeez, I don't even have to hear it, just thinking of it makes me tear up! If I hear it on the radio in the car, I have to pull over. If I'm in a public place, I have excuse myself. It's ridiculous. I internalize that song so much b/c of that program. So many thoughts and feelings go through me I can't control my response.

If he/his future bride were to pick that for a song at their wedding, I think I'd have to be carried out! It causes me to think of everyone to whom I need to say "I love you."

o

Gee, for me it's 'Forever Young' that gets me... I think we all have at least one that does it

May the good lord be with you
Down every road you roam
And may sunshine and happiness
Surround you when youre far from home
And may you grow to be proud
Dignified and true
And do unto others
As youd have done to you
Be courageous and be brave
And in my heart youll always stay
Forever young, forever young

May good fortune be with you
May your guiding light be strong
Build a stairway to heaven
With a prince or a vagabond

And may you never love in vain
And in my heart you will remain
Forever young
Forever young

And when you finally fly away
Ill be hoping that I served you well
For all the wisdom of a lifetime
No one can ever tell

But whatever road you choose
Im right behind you, win or lose
Forever young ,forever young
For, forever young, forever young

o

I ALWAYS begin to cry when I hear the song "Ooh Child".

I was driving home from visiting a very close family member in the hospital one day when I was a senior in high school and it was pouring outside. As I was driving my windshield wipers stopped working and the rain was so bad I had to pull over and sit. At that moment I was so upset because I knew that soon that family member would die and I was also upset because here I was stuck in a rainstorm. All of a sudden whatever song that was on the radio cut out and "Oooh Child" came on. I felt like it was her speaking to me because she was in a coma at the time and died a few days later.

Years later I had my son and had just left his father and was in the car driving and I was sobbing over my life. I was talking to that family member in my mind and again that song came on.

Now whenever I hear it I become teary eyed and think of that special family member.

O-o-h child, things are gonna get easier
O-o-h child, things'll get brighter

Someday, yeah
We'll put it together, and we'll get it all done
Someday when your head is much lighter
Someday, yeah
We'll walk in the rays of a beautiful sun
Someday when the world is much brighter

O-o-h child, things are gonna be easier
O-o-h child, things'll be brighter
O-o-h child, things are gonna be easier
O-o-h child, things'll be brighter

Someday, yeah
We'll put it together, and we'll get it all done
Someday, yeah

Someday, someday, someday
We'll get it together, and we'll get it all done
Someday, someday, someday

Right now, right now, oh yeah
Right now, oh baby
You just wait and see how things are gonna be
Right now
Right now

o

Absolutely. I feel that way and my son is only 9. I can't imagine what it'll feel like at 18 or 21 or 51 or..... it's going to be much stronger, isn't it? Popi, you've had such a good relationship, at least you can always look at the bank you built.

o

Here is the link to the song.

Here is a link that might be useful: Slippin Through my fingers, with words

o

this is my favourite film ,my two year old is obsessed with it and puts it on every day,i adore it ,i did exactly the same, one morning i was waving my eleven year old off to school watching her out of the window untill she was out of sight and i suddenly started singing that very song.I too started crying,and thinking gosh it doesnt seem two minuts since you were born and now your in high school,made my very emotional

o

Well its so nice to hear someone else is affected by the same song. I think Meryl sings it in such a moving way, she probably was moved by the words too and was able to express that through her singing.

o

Oh my goodness. The time passes so quickly. So many memories flooding back to me. Listening to this song was the first time I had heard it. I cried like a baby. I could actually feel my heart being squeezed by the precious little children that I have been so blessed to have in my life. I never imagined I could love so deeply, feel such joy and heartache. To think that some parents give that up for free.

I cry at everything these days. Missing my parents, gone now for 9 and 10 years. Seeing my kids grown and knowing that soon one more will leave the nest, my nest. Hurting when they hurt, struggling when they struggle, rejoicing when they rejoice. I am so proud of each one of them. Such glorious gifts. Such fleeting moments.

I must be hormonal.

o

popi,

I have never heard that song and haven't seen the movie. I did listened to it just right now on youtube abnd yes I cried pretty bad. Still am teary.

My DD is 20 and she is my only child. i do terribly miss those times when she was little, and I do miss her now like every day because she is in college very far away.

I can totally relate to your feelings popi.

I did like the words in the song about funny little girl. DD was always very funny, she has this quirky sense of humor. and I felt like "funny little girl" is about my daughter.

o

Believer and Finedreams - its really nice to hear of others having the same thoughts as myself.

"feel my heart being squeezed" - so well expressed, that's exactly how I felt.

Hugs to you both, and a cup of coffee as well.

Good times to come with our "little ones", focus on those and make each moment count.

Popi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here