SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19773636

Nephew woes...

User
19 years ago

Hello...

I am not a parent, but looking to parents for some wisdom. My nephew is 6 years old and very small for his age. I don't know if this is because of genetic factors or because he was adopted at age two and was malnourished at the time. He is bright, but the size of a four year old. My sister and brother in law have him in Hockey lessons three days a week. I came to watch him play yesterday, and...he cried and whined non-stop the entire time his parents were decking him out in hockey gear that he did not want to go to Hockey. When he was put into the rink with the other kids, (much bigger, faster, than him) and skated laps around with everyone else, another kid kept trying to knock him down. My sister said that this kid does this at each lesson. During drills, my Nephew was very timid, the last to go each time, and was obviously unhappy and un-focused much of the time. After his hour long class was up, he was uncharacteristically quiet and crabby on the way home, while my sister told him he was the best skater-man in the world...My question is this...I understand that kids must do things that they don't want to do, ie;homework, chores, etc. but should my Nephew really have to do this? It makes more sense to me that my brother-in-law should take him out skating and help him develop some more skills and size before putting him in a situation like this. However...I don't have kids, and would like to hear your opinions before I say something to my sister. Please help.

thanks,

Ann

Comments (4)

Sponsored