SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_brice

Healthy response to guilt tripping?

organic_brice
15 years ago

How do you respond to persistent guilt tripping in a healthy way?

When it is a kid asking for something inappropriate the answer seems simple, say 'no' and move on.

ex. "You don't love me! I only want ...! Everyone else has ...! I'll never talk to you again!"

I'd say "I'm sorry you feel that way. I do love you but I won't be getting that for you."

What are some other healthy ways to respond?

What about when it is an adult? Setting boundaries seems to be the best route but how about when they carry on? Saying how their problems are significant (unlike your own) and pressing how much you should be doing for them that you are not?

ex. "Well, you should be happy, I had it much worse." When you suffer a disappointment. And then turning the conversation back to what you should be doing for them. "You owe me! After all I've done for you..." "If you don't call me (do for me) I (and then making threats)." When they are quite capable of doing what they need to do on their own.

What about using the same response to a guilt tripping adult that you would give to a child? "I do love you and thank you but I won't be doing that for you."

Is there a better way?

What are some healthy ways to respond to guilt tripping in general?

Comments (10)

Sponsored