Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Monday Blues

Posted by ArabellaMiller (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 04 at 15:17

My six year old is having a really hard time going back to school on Mondays. We've explored every possible school problem, and after talking to him and his teacher have determined that it's the good old fashioned Monday morning blues. He has wonderful weekends filled with sports, game night with the whole family, quality time with dad, running around with the neighborhood kids (he goes to a private school in a different town), and general non-scheduled fun. It's a bummer to go back to school on Monday.

I've been trying to think of a special MOnday activity to make him look forward to Mondays, but I'm drawing a blank. He gets home late (around 4:30) and has about an hour of homework, so there isn't much time for an out of house activity. He's not much of a TV watcher, although a video and popcorn might be fun. Any suggestions? I thought of letting him pick what's for dinner, but I don't think that's a big deal for him.

I'm open and anxious to hear your ideas.

AM

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Monday Blues

Since he goes to school in another town does he have friends there? Are any of his school friends close enough to come over for a vist on the weekend? If he had a little more interaction with his school friends he may feel more relaxed to go back to school on Monday. When my kids were little they enjoyed going back to school on Monday so they could tell all their friends about the fun things they did on the weekend.

Another thought: Could he be tired on Monday from the weekend activities? Just a thought.... Also maybe he could draw a picture or paint a picture to take to school on Monday to show his friends in his class.

Dancey

o
RE: Monday Blues

Thanks for your reply Dancey. I think you're correct - he is really tired on Monday, but he does nap Sunday afternoons, so I'm not certain that's the whole story.

He has new friends in his new school, but I've been sort of bad about playdates since they are far away and somewhat inconvenient. You are right in that I should make more of an effort. He's a really social kid and does like the kids in his class.

My neighbor suggested a special breakfast out on Mondays, which I think is great in theory, but waking up early to go to IHOP may not work in practice. Maybe I can convince DH to stop at Dunkin' Donuts on the way to school though?

Any other thoughts?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here