Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I stop this?

Posted by superbuggin (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 22, 13 at 9:53

This issue is not a major problem, but it's very annoying non the less, my son is 5 years old and has got in this habit of if I'm not looking at him,I'm not listening! I was playing army men with him and I'm setting up my guys, he says mommy, I say yes, he says mommy, I says yes, he grabs my face so I'm looking at him, mommy that guy goes there!
I've tried talking to him that he can't grab my face and I've told him even though I'm not looking at him I CAN STILL HEAR him, I've read stuff about kids wanting to see your expression if something is funny or to feel reassured that u like it too.
But it's like me looking at him saying yes so he knows I'm listening, and he can keep talking does not cut it sometimes, i guess I wonder about school. I don't want him yelling at the teacher because she is not looking at him! Lol.
I'm not sure what goes on at my ex's. I know he goes to daycare for that week, is he grabbing peoples faces there?! He is with me all day on my week. Should I talk to the daycare lady and see what his behaviors are there? My ex is sort of in the I'm not telling u anything mode. If I'm driving he wants me to turn around and look at him while he tells me about Spider-Man, is my ex looking at him while driving? I explain it not safe and I can't look at him right now, but I can hear him. Hopefully this starts sinking in before kindergarten lol.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I stop this?

I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I don't think he would do that to people outside the family. It is probably just a phase and if you are playing with him how much trouble is it to look at him when he speaks. It's just good manners.

o
RE: How do I stop this?

Two things came to my mind when reading your post.

Perhaps he needs an eye test, just to make sure it is not a sight problem.

Or

He may just feel a bit neglected because his mum and dad are not in the same place. He might feel insecure and is demanding your full attention because of that.

Spend lots of time with him, sitting talking and looking at him. That might make him feel more secure.

It is right for you to be concerned.

All the best for you and you little boy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here