SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beache_gw

Need advice about mean girls

beache
19 years ago

My almost 9 year old DD loves to dance. She's done it since she was 2 and this year was invited to join the competition group. This group takes extra classes and then after the New Year dances in competitions against other groups from around our region. It's a lot of work and challenging for her. She loves it! Well, the dancing part anyway.

The problem: Each year only a few new girls are added to the group. This year the number was 3. The already existing group has been dancing together for at least a year now, if not more. They are not friendly to the new girls anyway, but they are outright mean to my DD. It's amazing to see these 8 & 9 year old little snobs and how mean they can be. They roll their eyes when my DD is approaching them. They point and laugh when she is up dancing alone. They exclude her from all conversations. Yesterday when we were walking into the class, one of them said "Oh no, here comes Dina" (name changed). Luckily my DD didn't hear them. All of this is done when the teacher is busy changing music or whatever. They are very sneaky.

I just don't know how to handle this situation. The mothers of these girls treat us newcomers badly too. We are ignored, info is kept from us purposely, etc. Guess the girls learned it from the moms.

I've been telling my DD to just concentrate on the dancing and ignore them, but it's hard. Should I just let things go as they are and hope that they accept her later on? Should I go to the teacher and/or owner and voice my concerns? I mean, they can't force these girls to be friends with my kid, and I'm afraid I'll make things worse.

What would you do?

Comments (7)

Sponsored