Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dressing oneself????

Posted by Pamven (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 27, 04 at 18:55

Should a 7 yr old be able to dress himself, excluding hard to reach buttons or zippers????? Its been so long since ive spent much time around a child of this age that im not certain of what to expect as far as development.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dressing oneself????

Yes he should be able to dress himself. He may need your assistance in choosing his clothes for the day. By age 7 kids usually can do most things themselves.

Dancey

o

At night I lay out clothing for my sons and they dress themselves in the mornings. My 3 1/2 year old just started doing it, and often puts things on backwards and needs help with buttons. Sometimes I leave them backwards, sometimes I help him turn them around, it depends on what it is, where we're going and how adamant he is about having it the way he did it.

My 6 1/2 year old is entirely self-sufficient. On the rare occasions he wears a belt he needs help getting it through the back loops.

o

it depends upon the child. every child is so different.

being an older sister of several younger brothers - i remember - my one brother dressed himself and was adamant that he do so by himself at age 3. he didnt care if it was frontwards or backwards, left or right - clothes be damned -he was ready to go. he was always a do first, think later kind of boy.

in constrast, my other brother always wanted help getting dressed well into second and third grade. it wasnt that he couldnt put the stuff on. it was that he was concerned whether things matched and whether they were on right... he was always the cautious one. to this day now that he is grown, he is always very well dressed and thinks about stuff before he does it ....

o

my oldest boy is 4 and he has been dressing himself
for close to a year now .
he has some trouble getting t-shirts on forwards
as well as zipping a zipper on his jeans .
both of the boys were premies and it is amazing the difference between the two .
it seems that some kids will catch on quicker than others .
Zeke

o

Yes he should be pretty much self sufficient by now. My daughter has been dressing herself since she's 3 & she's just now (3 yrs. 7 mos.) getting the hang of buttons although she still often gets the shoe on the wrong foot.

Michie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here