SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurilye_gw

college workloads and assumptions of others

laurilye
16 years ago

I have a son in his third year of college in electrical engineering.

His class are outrageously difficult. Physics and the like.

He's unusually bright, and understands such things in a way that leaves me in awe, but he still has probably 3 hours of homework per class, every day. If he has a test to study for, basically he studies until he finally has to go to bed, sometimes after three in the morning. He understands his field is very competetive, and his grades will be the deciding factor in the jobs he will be eligible for, so he applies himself, and never ever complains. I could never do what is required as he has. I am quite proud of him for his dedication and maturity.

He has absolutely no life. I have fought with him before about getting out and having a little fun once in a while. He has about 8 buddies who basically lived here, during high school. They had more than their share of crazy good times. They come by, out together having a good time, he would love to, but he turns them down. Now they just wait till breaks in school like christmas, to see him. I can't believe how well he handles watching every one he knows moving out, having jobs and decent money, being young bachelors with no parental supervision. I can tell ya, these guys are having a ball. He never complains, or even appears jealous. I would be, lol

Due to illness, he had to drop 4 classes, mid way thru, and was not allowed back to school for 6 months, it killed his grades and his transcript looks pitiful because of it. College doesn't as why, they just put your application in the bottom of the pile. so he has had to take larger work loads than normal to make up for lost time. This has made him about a year older for the grade he is in, leaving him open to assumptions and judgements, that he's slacking thru school living off of mommy and daddy so he doesn't have to get a real job.

My question is, has any one else had a child in school working their ( l )'s off, that were judged unfairly, as someone who didn't work, living off their parents, and did they have a way of handling it that helped. My son has talked about getting a job a few times, and I have discouraged it, I don't see how he could manage both. He doesn't have 4 hours to spare, let alone 8 from the studies he has.

He really deserves to be admired for his commitment and sacrifice, in my opinion. I am so tired of defending him to people who don't know what college really involves, especially to the dental assistants and lab technicians, who worked their way thru school, and don't realize the difference between understanding how a tooth is distracted from understanding physics, and that they are presented questions that they take two weeks to answerer

Thanks,

Laurily

Comments (11)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler