Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Family dinners?

Posted by gwtamara (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 16, 09 at 13:50

Hi everyone,

Our producers are putting together some content about family dinners and would love to get your insight. Feel free to answer any or all of the questions. Any questions, please feel free to contact me -- my email is linked on my member page.

Thanks!

Tamara
GardenWeb Community Manager

• Is there a food you associate with a particular family member, and why?

• What was your favorite meal as a child?

• Do you cook as often as you want to? And if not, why not?

• What do you remember most about family dinners when you were growing up?

• Do you have any rituals or traditions before sitting down to a family meal, or during the meal? (saying grace, turning off cell phones, having kids set the table, etc) Did you have any when you were a child?

• Do your kids help you cook? How do you get them to help out with dinner?

• Follow-Up Postings:

o
    RE: Family dinners?

1.yes, grandparents with particular things they cooked. Grandma -stuffed cabbage, grandpa-weird but tasty dairy vegetable soup (sounds gross but it is not)

2. as a child-fruits, any fruits, same now

3. no, I don't cook as i used to or as I want to. no time, and if there is time it feels like a waste, i could do something else instead of cooking

4. mom's cooking. it is the best

5. no, no particular traditions as a child and none now. i like nicelly set up table though.

6. no my daughter never helped me cook and i never helped my mother. we usually had tiny kitchens and there were no places for more than one person cooking.

o

Is there a food you associate with a particular family member, and why?
    I associate my daughter with chicken noodle soup,because it is all she ever wants to eat!

What was your favorite meal as a child?
    Chicken and dumplings or pizza

Do you cook as often as you want to? And if not, why not?
    No,just don't always have time

What do you remember most about family dinners when you were growing up?
    That my mom hardly ever cooked.Sometimes we had cereal for dinner.

Do you have any rituals or traditions before sitting down to a family meal, or during the meal? (saying grace, turning off cell phones, having kids set the table, etc)

Just that the tv must be off! And yes,we usually say grace.

Did you have any when you were a child? No

Do your kids help you cook? How do you get them to help out with dinner?
    My daughter helps me by setting the table and loves to help me bake by measuring ingredients.

o

My spoiled adult daughter expects me to do it all, including cleaning up afterward.

I love family meals, but I think that she sees me as a restaurant.

If I had it to do over, I'd drag her kicking and screaming into the kitchen and insist she take part.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here