SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
silversword_gw

How to Parent a Six Year Old?

silversword
15 years ago

I have a general question on parenting a six year old. In general she is really good. She's kind to other children, to animals. She is good in school and pays attention to her teacher.

But, she whines. About anything and everything. She pouts. A lot. If she doesn't get what she wants. If her waffle is "too crunchy". Obviously these are normal traits in a young child. How do I get it across to her that it's not acceptable behavior?

Also, what kind of chores/responsibility do you think a child this age should have?

She sets her own place at the table and cleans her place when she's done. She sometimes does dishes with me. She is starting to help cook. She is responsible for feeding her fish, cleaning her room, folding and putting away her clothes, bringing her clothes out to the living room when her basket is full. When she comes home from school she washes her hands and face, and sits down to do her homework. I make a snack, and either before or after her homework she eats it.

She is a really good kid. I just don't know how to handle the whiny, little baby voice, and the injured look when she doesn't get everything she wants. Help!!!

Comments (15)

Sponsored