Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Family night

Posted by Doug_Toronto (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 21, 04 at 11:13

We've recently initiated family night at our house. My wife and I and our three daughters (7.5,5 & 8 mths) either rent a movie or play board games, puzzles or cards. I'm looking for suggestions on movies or games that can be played by both the 7.5 and 5 year old (and parents). For the games we quite often play in teams with an adult on each team. To date we've played junior scrabble, junior monopoly and battleship. We've seen all the standard animated fair and have recently rented; the love bug, home alone and the sound of music.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks

p.s. it's great having a dedicated night for just our family with none of the neighbour's kids over (we seem to attract them at our house.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Family night

Card games are always good, matching, old maid ect. You could do some crafty things too. I found a really good web site that can give you lots of ideas that both girls would enjoy and it is geared to the diff. ages.

I think it's good that you do this with them. I don't think enough parents spend good quality time with the children without the t.v. always going in the background and having outside distractions. You will be making memories for them too that they will carry on to their families one day.

EnchantedLearning.com

Good Luck,
Deb

o

We have a fun game called "Kids on Stage". It's a charades board game for kids. It's great for beginning readers. My kids also like Uno and Rummikub. It took my 5 year old a few tries to get the idea of "runs" and "sets" of numbers, but now he loves it.

Try Netflix.com for movie suggestions.

AM

o

For movies, check old Disney flicks like Blackbeard's Ghost, Absent Minded Professor (the original), etc. Or old Jerry Lewis films: The Nutty Professor, Cinderfella. Old Don Knotts movies: The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, The Reluctant Astronaut. Marx Brothers movies are also good for kids and adults.

When my kids were younger we used to watch all these old movies -- they were the movies I saw on TV back in the 60s and 70s and I loved watching them again as an adult, and since my kids were young enough when I started them out on these, they weren't jaded by all the newer blockbuster high-tech special effects movies of today.

As my kids got older, we began watching musicals, The King and I, Unsinkable Molly Brown, Fiddler on the Roof, etc. They love those!

And we started to watch movies from the 40s and 50s. My kids balked at black & white movies at first, but after a while, they began to realize that some of those black and white movies were so much better than what is offered today. After a while, when we were deciding what movie to rent, my kids started saying, let's get a black & white movie!

Check your local library for old movies, by the way. Here in Houston, you can get on line and select any movie in the library system and have it shipped to your local branch. They then notify you by email when your movie is ready to be picked up. And you keep it for two weeks. And it's free!

Good for you for doing the family night with the kids. Keep it up -- your kids will appreciate the time you spend with them!

o

get Pictionary, they have a kids version. It will be a blast for everyone in the whole fam (maybe not the 8 month old) :)

o

pretty pretty princess

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here