SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreedree_gw

What is your public elementary school discipine policy regarding

dreedree
14 years ago

My daughter is in the 3rd grade in our local public elementary school. Normally a happy, upbeat, communicative child, she had a radical change in personality a few weeks ago. We could not figure out what was wrong. Then, recently, while doing her homework, she cried and blurted out that "it was all my fault!"

She said that two weeks ago, I failed to initial her daily reading log as required by her teacher. This was true--I forgot to do so even though she told me she was done with it. The reason I knew about it was the next day, when the log came home, I noticed that instead of receiving a "check", she received a "minus." I told my daughter I was sorry, and assumed this was the consequence/penalty of what the teacher considered incomplete homework.

Well, it turns out that this wasn't the end of it. My DD told me that her name was called out in class as someone who had to stay in for recess. Okay, that's not going to make any schoolkid happy. But what freaked me out was that she said once in the "work room" (or "detention" but they don't use that word), she was asked by the proctor (not her reading teacher who sent her there) whether she was "doing minutes."

What's "doing minutes?" I asked. She told me that students who didn't do their homework, or didn't complete it, or have misbehaved in class, miss recess and have to sit on the carpet while being timed. She didn't know how minutes she owed...

Anyway, I guess this is all irrelevant. What i'm trying to find out is:

What is your school's policy on missing homework or not completing homework/classwork? Do they take away recess? Send notes home? Talk to the student? I am interested in any progressive discipline you have in your school as I'd like to propose less punitive and more instructive means at my mtg with the school.

THANKS in advance for any input.

Comments (8)

Sponsored