Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Schhol board approves birth control for middle school students!

Posted by plasticgarden (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 07 at 4:16

I'm sure you ladies have heard about this by now. A middle school in Maine approves Birth control pills to be given to girls in 6th to 8th grade!
I'm sure this will spark a variety of opinions here...
My own is that I think it insane to expect an eleven year old to even know how to properly take the pill.I think this should be the parent's responsiblity,not the schools.

What are your thoughts on this? If they wanted to pass this law at your child's school,how would you feel?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Schhol board approves birth control for middle school student

Here is the link to the story

Here is a link that might be useful: Middle school approves birth control

o

I that is what that community wants... then that is their business.

It would not pass at out school district.

o

It's very sad that the middle school community feels this is necessary.
But given that they feel it's necessary, I'm glad they're brave enough to provide the service.
Of course, the better option would be for the children and parents to have open and honest discussions, and for the children to refrain from having sex until they're much older and have better judgement. But from this decision, it's apparent that isn't happening.
Change what is in your power to change.

o

I am certainly of mixed feelings on this...first of all I can't imagine how many sexually inactive girls might request birth control pills to be "cool" or just to be prepared....and I hate to think what a regular dose of hormones might do to a pubescent girl.
And on the other hand I know more than one young girl who has gotten pregnant in 8th grade with life changing results. Would access to birth control have made a difference? I really don't think so.
But, I suspect that the student health department knows very well which students are at risk. It isn't as if they are handing out pills and condoms every morning with today's assignments.
This also may be a reversal of some of the old "blue laws" which were so prevalant in New England a few years back.
When I was in college in Massachusetts you had to have a doctor's perscription to buy condoms and any teacher, even a professor in a college level class in human physiology, was forbidden from even suggesting that there was a way to prevent conception.
Before we condemn or applaud we need to know the circumstances.
Linda C

o

All very thoughtful answers here. I agree about needing to know more...
I think one reason they decided to pass the law was they had a high number of pregnancies from that particular school.
For me,my main concern would be that the parents have no right to know their child is taking the birth control.Because it is considered "privacy" laws.Since parents are responsible for their children until age 18,
and let's say they had some kind of medical emergency,when the parent admits the child they will not have accurate info to give doctors about what their child is taking.

Either way it has really got me thinking,and I want to have an open,comfortable relationship with my child enough for her to know she could come to me about sex.

I hope they never try to pass this law where I live,but I think if that school is really having a crisis,then maybe it's the only option for them.Although,I think more sex education would be a better alternative...

o

Read the CNN article about it...it says that Kings where the program is offered is the only middle school in Portland that has a health care center, because it is the school that has the largest number of students who recieve reduced cost or free lunches.
That indicates the socio-economic dynamics in that school and why the school board thought it advisable.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: CNN

o

Thank you for that link Linda.Yes,I would say 17 pregnancies is a problem!

o
RE: School board approves birth control for middle school student

Is the school supplying the pap, pelvic exam as well? I had to have a whole slew of tests before I started taking the pill. Not required anymore? You used to have to wait until the last day of your next period to start the pill. Not so anymore? How many 11 yr olds have a period yet anyway?

o

I've seen so many discussions about this topic. And in almost every case, it was pretty obvious that most people were looking at the topic from their own experiences. Yes, for many of us, it's unthinkable that 11 year olds would be handed birth control pills or a supply of condoms.

However, I've taught in an urban ghetto, as well as in a very expensive suburb. In the city, there was a school set aside for pregnant girls--but no high school students could get in, because it was filled with jr. high kids. And that was 35 years ago--things are MUCH worse there now. In the suburbs, we had lots of 7th graders having sex--many were charging for it (mind you, they were mostly from pretty well-off families).

I feel this way about the question. A child from a family where they are teaching their children NOT to have sex at a young age, to be responsible--is going to have a really difficult time approaching those strict parents to ask for the pill, so if they think they need birth control, I'd rather they had the option of getting it from a trained health care worker. And the other side of the coin? The child who has parents who are uninvolved, maybe too poor to take the kid to the dr, even if they wanted to--well that child for sure needs to have access to birth control, if they think they might need it. Either way, more resources are always better than fewer--IMO.

o

Parents choose whether or not their children can go to the clinic. If they give parental consent, the child has the potential of obtaining birth control without the parents' knowledge. However, if they do not provide parental consent to be treated in the Health Center the child may not be prescribed birth control. Christy :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Limit Birth Control Access

o

"How many 11 yr olds have a period yet anyway?"

Good question.

o

Actually, in many ethnic (I'm talking genetically here) groups, it's not unusual for the girls to start having their period at 9, 10, 11--my foster niece got hers by the time she was 9. And it's a fact that the average age of puberty of the general population has been lowering.

And remember, birth control includes condoms as well. Whether or not a child of 11 has started having her period, whether or not the sexually active 11 year old is a boy or girl, they'd BETTER be protecting themselves against picking up STD's. Because most very young children who start having sex usually have it with someone older and more experienced. Even if they're using the pill for pregnancy protection, one would hope they're also using--properly--condoms for disease protection.

o

Here's something I never understand. If they are going to go to the trouble of giving out birth control pills instead of condoms, why don't they go the extra step and give depo shots instead. I don't see these kids being responsible enough to take their pills every day. At least with the depo shot, they wouldn't have to remember to take it every day.

I live next door to a teenager that had a baby last year. Her mother was mad because the teenager had not been taking her bc pills and was pregnant again this year. I don't agree with the situation, and I've been given more info than I ever wanted to know. I can't help, but wonder why the mom wasn't taking the doctor for a depo shot every few months if she is ok with daughter having sex. It doesn't solve the problem of STD's, but neither does the pill. At least the daughter wouldn't keep having unwanted pregnancies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here