Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
DS and voice breaking, advice please.

Posted by popi (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 28, 06 at 4:00

Hi there

How long does the process of voice breaking take ?

Is it gradual or does it just happen overnight ?

My son has had a croaky voice for a few months now, he is 14, and I thought it was just the change to his voice box. But now I am beginning to wonder, he finds it hard to speak out load, without sounding all croaky.

I would be interested to hear from others about voice breaking.

Thanks people.

Popi

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: DS and voice breaking, advice please.

I think it took DS about a year for his voice to completely change. He would sound like a girl for one word then a guy with a really deep voice the next. We tried not to laugh, but it was so comical sometimes. He loved it though when people finally stopped thinking he was his sisters on the phone!!!

Vickey-MN

o

With my older son, it was almost instant and seamless -- almost no comedy. One day, it just happened... My younger son is starting to croak.

o

My son went from high pitched to low fairly quickly too. Before it happened his voice was higher than his sister's, she has a low husky voice, think Demi Moore. He could make it low when he worked at it like when answering the phone but until it changed completely, he would go back and forth between high and low.

o

Light bulb moment!

My older son is very self-conscious. I'm betting that his voice actually WAS breaking, and that it just coincided with his "mumbling too quietly to be heard phase!" It's easy to keep your voice low and talk in a quiet mumble, and I bet he mumbled quietly to control/avoid the breaking.

o

Thanks, I enjoyed reading about your "voice breaking" experiences.

I have it all at the moment, the mumbling, the highs, and the very lows, it must be rather annoying for my DS.

o

I'd love to ask my son about this. I bet he would remember it differently. But I can only recall a couple of very minor "breaks" when his voice would suddenly become falsetto. It was over in a flash.

He might tell you it lasted forever.

The main thing is to let the poor kid know what is happening and then be as discreet as you can bout the laughter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here