SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
organic_egypt

Dealing with a selfish parent

organic_egypt
14 years ago

I am 29 and my mother is 52. We live together and work together because of a difficult financial situation.

I am left to do most of the work. The only reason she is working now is because I kept pointing out that I am doing all of the work while she took up the role, equivalent to a housewife, and this is not our arrangement.

She treats me with no respect. She quit four jobs while I was growing up, because she did not like something about them, when she had no other job lined up. we had to move from place to place, getting thrown out for not paying the rent, and actually going through times of having no food.

I started working at 18, legal age in my country, and all the money went into the house to keep the roof over our heads and to feed us, yet I am given absolutely no respect. Her needs come first, her needs at her age. I am tired of her, I am sick of her. She has no regard for my existence, and after all of these years it has gotten worse.

I love her, I could not abandon a mother who is not working, but my God, she should have done something with her life after all of this time and not depended on me. Taking care of her is not my role.

The business is not doing it's best at the moment, and I cannot put her int he street. We cannot afford to live apart yet. So, how am I to deal with this.

She does not listen to me, If I try to talk about my feelings they are met with her feelings. Her only response is her feelings and her thoughts, which usually are that I am trying to ruin her day, I need to just be happy and make her life easier.

She who has taken the easy road everyday of her life!!!

I don't know what to do now, I have to save my life and my sanity. This doesn't begin to cover the full of this situation, but I hope it paints an adequate picture.

Comments (12)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living