SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
livvysmom

How to keep my DD from being boy crazy and growin up too fast

livvysmom
16 years ago

Two incidents concern me. During the summer my children (girls 5 and 7) told me a friend's son (age 8 1/2) showed them his "thingy" while I was babysitting him (I was literally one room away making popcorn while they were watching a movie). I asked them if they showed him anything -- my 5 yo did not, my 7 yo was guilty. I asked if anyone did any touching and she told no way (very discustedly). Anyhow I went nuts on her -- told her I soooo disappointed in her judgement and how I have over and over told her her "privates" were not for others to see etc... I know you are supposed to remain calm, but it seemed as though she was pretty nonchalant about the whole thing until I yelled. So, she really seemed to understand and learn from the incident.

Today, she told me a boy ran up to her at recess and kissed her cheek. She told the teacher on duty and ended up having to talk to her own teacher and the principal about it. They asked her how she "felt" about it and she said "...weird. It would be ok if I were 20 or something." My DD said he asked her yesterday if he could kiss her and she said no. Apparently the same boy did this to a different girl yesterday but she never told. I really praised her for telling an adult because the boy will not learn that it is inappropriate unless she brought it to their attention.

Anyhow, other things have me concerned. Like how she told my mother that "five boys in my class like me." My mother told me I will really have my hands full with her someday because of this statement and the fact that my DD is very pretty.

One other thing that bothers me -- my DD loves to dance but sometimes does it almost in a sexy manner. She does take jazz and ballet and has seen the older girls perform similiarly but it can be quite embarressing. I told her one time to dance "nice" but she had no idea what I was talking about.

I try to limit her TV viewing but she enjoys shows like Zack and Cody and Hannah Montana. Those shows do talk about crushes and boys; all her girlfriends watch these shows but any kind of kissing on TV makes a huge impression on her.

I just wish my little girl was just interested in Disney princesses again.

What can I do short of keeping her in a bubble?

Comments (6)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County