Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
18th Birthday ideas????

Posted by Kathy_in_Delaware (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 02 at 23:46

My oldest will be turning 18 next week and I cannot figure out what to do/give her. Anyone have any ideas??
Thanks so much.
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 18th Birthday ideas????

Around here, they hope for a car! I would suggest a nice piece of real jewelry--I bought some blue topaz studs for my daughter for under $100. Look for sales. Our Macy's always seems to have something on a 50% off sale in its fine jewelry department. Pink topaz is more expensie but is pretty. Amethyst is inexpensive too. I also had a lovely garnet ring of her great grandmother's sized to fit her one year. She still gets complements on that ring.

o

For my 18th, my parents also bought me my first expensive and really nice piece of jewelry. My Mom took me out and let me pick from the selection of rings that were my birthstone in a very nice jewelry store.

o

'Real' anything has good symbolic significance, and usually some practical utility as well. A piece of furniture, like a trunk or bench is also good. Most local woodworkers would be able to custom make one for you. Your choices of materials, woods, and detailing can add to (or reduce) the total costs involved to the point where a custom made piece may be as affordable (maybe more so) than some retail already made pieces.

You can kind of sit in a quiet place and brain storm about the transition from 17 to 18 for yourself. You also have particular knowledge about your daughter and what you know of her ambitions and hopes, as well as her current hobbies and interests. Give yourself some time, and some space to let the best ideas just come to you. Plus, you have the benefit of being able to consult at least a little bit with the gift recipient in question.

o

If you decide to go with jewelry, I charm bracelet is a great idea. It gives you something to add to each year on her birthday or other special occasions.

o

my daughter who is my second born child and first daughter will be 18 Monday, I found the greatest gift for her...I bought her 1 share of McDonalds stock(as she lives at McyD's) from onestock.com, there are many different stocks one can purchase on their site ie..Microsoft,etc... It comes with a beautiful plaque which is optional and its cost was under $100.00. She is 1500 miles away from home in college and i thought what better gift than an investment that could be added to on every occassion. My children are the reason I am and I demand only the greatest gifts especially on such important occassions.

o

Hi there

My daughter is 19 now, and I organised for her father to give her a lovely ring. She was so touched, she could not believe that he went to the shop and picked out something so pretty. The reality being that...sh dont tell anyone...I had a hand in the hole thing, but she doesnt have to know that !

A piece of jewellery is something that you can keep with you, expecially a ring, and it has sentimental value, that will be with her always.

Happy birthday to your sweet little one.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here