SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enchiladalady

19 Year Old Bossy Child Living at Home

enchiladalady
14 years ago

I posted this by accident in the stepfamily forum, so I've reposted it here:

My 19 yr old daughter graduated from high school and stayed in town while attending college. She's good at working and going to school, but she can be so arrogant! Her best friends are a married couple 12 years older than she is. My husband and I certainly don't want her moving into their home, though they've offered. We think they ought to be making friends their age; she needs to be making friends her age. She refuses to join with others her age. She hates that we have a curfew and has threatened to move out because of it. I told her if she moved in with her married friends, then we wouldn't pay for her college anymore and she wouldn't have use of our old car. She's not financially capable of having a car loan, and it wouldn't be worthwhile anyway, she needs to finish her education first. She does her own laundry but resents being asked to do anything else at home. She seems to think that she should come and go as she pleases with our car and all she has to do is feed herself and do her own laundry without helping out as part of the family. The hurtful thing is that she told us she considers this married couple to be her family now instead of us. We would be OK with her moving in with another college age girl, but she won't look at bulletins for someone like this looking for a roommate. I suspect she's also putting us down with our younger daughter, as we're having problems with her attitude as well. She's 15. I've already overheard the husband putting us down while talking to her. She didn't know I overheard this. This couple, even the husband, is very flattering to her. They agree with every opinion of hers.

Comments (5)

Sponsored