SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plumbly22

daughter and friend love/hate relationship

plumbly22
15 years ago

My youngest (9) daughter and a neighbor girl (same age) have had a very up and down friendship since the beginning of time... They have always blown hot and cold towards each other... and just when you think it's getting better they have another major flare up.

Which brings us to this week... the first days of the new school year... they are in the same grade in the same building, but with different teachers. This means they are together on the bus to and from school, and at lunch and recess.

So, Tuesday night I get a call from mom down the street... her daughter ("Susie") has gotten off the bus in tears and has told her "mom" the girl across the street(same age/grade) "Mary" told Susie that my daughter ("Janie") was spreading a 'terrible' rumor about Susie... so awful that Mary wouldn't ever repeat it to Susie.... so would I please try to get to the bottom of this and get it resolved?

So, I have a bedtime chat with Janie about how was her day (awful) what went on ... I get a LONG story about how a group of kids were playing on the playground and "Isabella Idiot" said susie liked Johnny... but Johnny was there and said no, Susie likes Mikey... so later I went over to Susie and asked her if she liked Johnny or Mikey and she got really angry... so I left and went to play with Mary on the equipment. The a while later Susie came over, started chasing us around and I fell in the mulch and Susie came over and kicked me... and then Janie shows me a bruise on her leg. So I question did any of the recess teachers see this or do anything and she tells me she told one of them but they thought she meant she kicked Susie, and since it was time to go in and they didn't see it, no one did anything... and then Janie starts complaining to me about how awful this was and how her leg hurt.

So, now I say to Janie, well Susie's mom called and told me this.... what do you think now??? I get a repeat of her story, start to finish. So, I tell her, that first off, if someone is saying things about other people, we do not repeat them to others, and IF we discuss the things being said with the people being talked about, we do so very carefully so they know she was not the person who started this... and then I put her to bed.

In the morning prior to the bus we have another chat about this as Janie is still ticked about being kicked by Susie the day before... I tell her to drop it and to make sure she remembers not to touch other people and if there is a problem to get an adult... and remind her that while I'm at work Susie and mom will be arriving to take her to dance class in the afternoon...

A while after the bus goes, I remember to call call mom, who is now at work, to let her know what Janie had to say about the day before at recess and she says to me, well that is totally different than what Susie told me when she got home.... (mind you supposedly all mom knew the night before was Mary told Susie there was a rumor from Janie that was so terrible she wouldn't repeat it)...

So, what did Susie tell mom??? Mom procedes to tell me that Susie has said that on the bus ride home yesterday Janie was saying Susie likes Johnny and Susie kept asking Janie to stop and she wouldn't, so Susie was crying when she got home... Now, I'm confused... but I don't ask her why she didn't share this information the night before... but I do ask for some clarification... was this on the bus home yesterday??? Mom says yes....

So, now I tell her, that's really interesting since Janie was picked up at school yesterday for the trip home in the car by dad.... she didn't ride the bus home yesterday.

Mom is now gulping and confused and maybe she's got it wrong or maybe Susie had it wrong when she told her or who knows... but mom was at work by now and had to go.... We'll talk later...

So, after mom has dropped both girls to dance, she calls me to let me know they are there and they seemed perfectly fine in the car... and when she got them to class they were doing things together just fine.

Then I get to dance to pick them up... and all hell had broken out at dance... and Janie has been kicked out of class for the rest of the year (mind you it was the first class of the year)!

So, Susie is crying and Janie is hostile... and I've got them both in the car... so girls what went on at dance, one at a time please... Susie says nothing, she's just sniffling & crying, Janie says I punched Susie because she said I was the biggest loser at school. Now Susie yells I did not say that and starts crying louder. So I ask what was happening before you punched Susie? Janie says Susie was swinging on a pole and I told her I got in trouble for doing that before (meaning last year) and she should stop and then she called me the biggest loser in the school.

Susie again yells I did not and again with the loud crying. We continue with the back and forth questions basically between me and my daughter Janie... sometimes with Susie saying no and sometimes with her agreeing yes... finally I try to summarize... do I have this right... you were gettting along and then you started calling each other names in low tones (idiot, stupid, jerk, back at you, etc) and then Susie was swinging on the pole, Janie said Susie shouldn't be doing that, Susie yelled something... but Susie you don't remember what, but you do remember it isn't what Janie remembers it to be??? And through all this the dance teacher saw nothing, but only knew something was going on when Susie started crying after the punch? They both agreed yes this was what happened...

Well... I basically lost it...but kept under control with them... I am so tired of thie kind of bs with the two of them... I told them both they are no longer allowed to play together or call each other, or do anything together... when we got to Susies house, I had Janie appologize to her, which she did quietly, and then told Susie I was very sorry it had come to this but that she was no longer welcome at our house and not to call our house again... and theat IF Janie ever calls her she should have one of her parents call our house to let me out Janie's dad know about it. Then before she got out I asked her about what she told her mom about the bus the day before... mom says Janie was saying you liked Johnny on the bus, and she wouldn't stop when you asked, when was that??? Yesterday afternoon... So I say, well Susie, see here's the problem I have with that, Janie's dad picked her up aftre school for a car ride home yesterday, so she wasn't on the bus yesterday... so you see... I don't believe what you have to say on ANY of this problem any more than I believe what Janie has to say about it at this point.... not she starts crying harder... and I sent her inside and watched to make sure she got in...

Dad & I had a very long sit down with Janie when we got home about this... no touching other bodies, no playing with Susie, no telephoning Susie, if Janie is playing somewhere and Susie comes ove, Janie is to come home, no playing together at recess... if there is a problem anywhere... get an adult... and on and on...

The next morning I tlak about this with the bus driver and get their seat assignments moved so they are NOT together or near each other on the bus. then I call school and talk with the principal about what has gone on the two previous days... In particular I'm asking if she could check to see if the recess person remembers being told about kicking on the first day... but I want to give them a heads up to watch the two of them... I fully admit to the principal I KNOW my daughter can be a handful and is NOT a precious angel all the time... but now I've got the other one maybe lying with the bus incident... principal distinctly remembers seeing and talking with dad when he came to pick Janie up that day so she also knows Janie wasn't on the bus when Susie supposedly told mom all this started... princiapl did remind me this is VERY TYPICAL 4th grade girl stuff... as I have a 16YO girl also... I remember these years...

Anyway... this is a very long story... and now I'm torn... I do not want the girls together at all. Originally, I wanted dad and I and Janie to go down the street to Susies house and have the girls settle what actually did happen when and where in front of their parents, but dad talked me out of doing that... but... in the mean time... I have not made contact with Susie's mom, nor has she called me...

The day after all this happened Mary asked Janie over to play after school and while she was there Susie walked over, Janie told Mary she would have to go home since susie came over as she is not allowed to be at the same place with Susie anymore... so Mary told Susie that she had invited Janie to play today so she (Susie) would need to go home since they are not allowed to be together now. Susie went home in tears...

Susie's mom is typically a pretty abrasive person, and Susie does no wrong. I am typically a very accomodating person, I know Janie does wrong, and she makes me crazy... but I also do not believe janie is the devil incarnate. I happen to know Susie can be ever bit as ugly as Janie... but she's a 'cry baby kid... while mine is a 'tough' kid... so mine takes a lot of responsibility for the problems between them as mom just doesn't see her daughter being wrong... ever...

So... do I call mom and discuss this or do I just let it lie??? Mind you , our middle children (we both have 3, all the same ages/grades) are best buddies... (oldest are differrnt sexes... so friends, but not close)... so things are awkward for my sone with his buddy right now....

Comments???

Ideas???

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County