SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sleeperblues

Not happy about teenage son's behavior

sleeperblues
19 years ago

Hi, I just had an incident with my 13 year-old son that is bothering me, but I don't know if I'm overreacting. Ted is 13, in grade 8, and over the summer really started growing and becoming good-looking. We have always had a great relationship where we talk about anything, but he has started to become really secretive. I can understand that, having once been a teenager, but I've always had a better relationship with him than my 15 year old daughter. I picked up the extension Sunday when the phone rang, and I overheard him talking to a girl. She was begging him not to hang up on her and asking why he broke up with her. Well, he didn't say a word, just hung up. I was frankly shocked that he would act that way. We have never set any rules about dating, because we live in a small town and I know all his friends at school. I didn't know this girl, or that he was "dating" her. I have always taught my kids to be kind to others, having been a nerd when I was their age, and I never thought he would act like this. I told my husband what had happened, and he had a talk with Teddy and told him how upset I was, but it's now Wednesday and Ted and I haven't spoken about this. I guess I'm upset because I remember what it was like to be treated that way, and I don't want my son to be unkind, no matter what this girl could have done. Am I off base here? I'm not liking this puberty thing at all. Never had to deal with issues with DD.

Comments (10)

Sponsored