SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
proserpina_gw

What is it?

proserpina
16 years ago

Back again. We have 4 boys, my question is about our 8yo, 2nd in the lineup (if that is of any relevance!).

You know those days when you are writing something, you get up to answer the phone, and when you go to sit back down the pencil is nowhere to be found because God-only-knows where you set it on the way to pick up the phone? Or the eternal, "What did I come in here for?"....

Well, our 8yo is like that just all the time.

Most recent examples:

Please bring your shoes to your room.

He picks them up, overhears a conversation, forgets what he was supposed to do with them, and without realizing just drops them on the ground.

Please put the towel on the washer.

He takes it... and it ends up in the bathroom (and he didn't have to go).

We all do stuff like that, I get that. But this happens pretty much with anything, even when he is doing something on his own (meaning, it isn't just when we ask him to do something). It's as if the most basic pieces of information just get lost when trying to complete an action. At times I find myself saying, "What did I just say?" because I am not entirely sure he has even heard me.

He is a bright bright child, does very well in school... if anything, teachers simply want him to spend a bit more time on his work because he always approaches it at a race against time. But that's about it!

Do you have children that do things like that? How do you help them do things all the way? How do you make sure they hear you when they give you a glazed look?

Comments (10)

Sponsored