Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'Mean Girls' Seminar, anyone?

Posted by leahcate (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 10, 09 at 22:57

With jr. school looming, I would love to find tools to host a "mean girls" meeting. Would we need to have a pro speaker, or could we do this ourselves with good material? I'm thinking of one large meeting with one or more speakers, moms or a pro. Afterward, the group would break into small groups to discuss and sign a code of conduct.
Have any of you experienced such a thing? This is a very new seat-of-my-pants idea. Have a feeling there is lots of info out there, but thought I'd begin here, and would love to hear from you...thanks!.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'Mean Girls' Seminar, anyone?

That is a very interesting concept. I like it. Talking about bullying is becoming part of the curriculum for school counselors. But what goes on among adolescent girls is very different from boys. I sub (I'm trying to find a full-time teaching job!) and I can see the girls are much harder on each other than boys. Oh, they are tricky. And so often, they think they aren't doing anything wrong. They seem to think they are just on the right side of the line, but haven't quite crossed it yet. When really, they went over the line a long time ago. Or they don't see their participation as a problem b/c their own role might be small, but combined it's huge. I think it is such a part of their social life they don't recognize the problem.

I am interested as a teacher and a parent (my only DD is 9 now). I want to know how to better handle the girl variety of bullying, in the classroom and when it affects my own daughter and her friends.

I don't have answers for you. But I'll help you look. ;o) I think the idea of a separate discussion with girls is a good idea, b/c the bullying is different than boys. They need definitions so they know it when they see it; so they think about what they do or don't do. They need girl-specific tools to handle that kind of emotional bullying situations. If it's not already happening, I think the discussion you're talking about is a good idea.

It's late, I can't look too much right now. I started to get somewhere when I googled "bullying intervention girls." I am linking an article I started to read and found interesting. It's 36 pages long, but the last 10 are resources. I'll keep looking, too, on and off when I get the chance. The subject interests me VERY much and I want to learn strategies I can use in the classroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Girl-to-Girl Bullying

o
RE: 'Mean Girls' Seminar, anyone?

Thanks so much, Stephanie. I will go to your link and will also continue to research.. Yes, girls bullying IS so different. I've also been thinking of a mother-daughter book club to read about and discuss this subject ( Queen Bees/Wanna Bees, comes to mind, though I've not read it).
I hate the idea of all the moms huddled in the background while this ugliness goes on, rising only to defend her own chic when attacked. Moms should gather together and rally against this enemy to protect all our daughters, not allowing it to flourish under our radar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here