Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
birthday parties

Posted by mom2emall (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 18, 07 at 22:38

I want to have a combined birthday party for my son and ss, ages 10 & 5 since their birthdays are only a few weeks apart. I want it at our house, and there will probably be around 20-30 kids total between family, school friends, and other friends. Any ideas on cheap activities I can do to keep all those boys busy? It will be mid september in the midwest...so may be hot or may be cold outside. I was thinking of maybe some type of obsticle course/ sports activities in our yard? Any ideas for easy team games?

I was also thinking of maybe some type of science experiments because they are both on a science kick lately and love mixing liquid soaps with juices and stuff to see what it looks like. Any ideas for easy, kid friendly experiments for them all?

Thanks so much!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: birthday parties

My boys are also five years apart -- and to them, it's a lifetime! Not to ignore your question, but do you think the two age groups will be able to get along well? And is there something at a skill level appropriate for a 5 year old that isn't a bit 'young' for a ten year old?

o

I was having the same thoughts when I started thinking about planning the party. I was only thinking of combining it to save money (i.e. only have to pay for food, fun, and decorations once) Also, making plans for family and close friends to come to both parties is a hassle. But after thinking about it last night my dh and I were saying that maybe seperate parties would be better age wise and also because they should each be able to have their own special day. So, I think that we are going with seperate parties to fit each of their likes.

Back to the science experiment ideas...my oldest still likes the idea of that theme for his party. Any ideas on activities to fit that theme?

o

We did a science theme for my 7 yo's b-day party. The kids really enjoyed it. My ds loves science so we've done all of the following experiments. Some are better for the party than others.

Pierce a ballon without it popping: http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-pierce-a-balloon-without-it-popping

Suck an egg into a bottle: http://www.lessontutor.com/belm14.html
http://www.spartechsoftware.com/reeko/Experiments/ExpEggInABottle.htm

Blow up a balloon: http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/balloon_blowup.html

Ziploc bomb:
http://www.exploratorium.edu/science_explorer/bubblebomb.html

Remove an egg Shell:
http://www.easyfunschool.com/article1070.html

Mentos and diet coke: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/experiment/00000109

The mentos and diet coke was the favorite. If you google it, you can find some FAQs to answer questions like 'what happens if I ingest this?'.

o

Family Fun magazine always had great ideas for birthday parties. Their website is a good resource, just familyfun.com and choose "parties."

o

I teach elementary school aged cooking classes--have for over 20 years. I can assure you, you're going to be a very frustrated young woman you combine 5 year olds and 10 year olds. That's just too great a span for a group--especially with the number of kids you plan to invite. I find that a range of K and 1st is about as great as you can manage for little ones, although you can group grades 2-5 pretty well. Go beyond those groupings, though, and the little ones are lost or the older ones are just bored stiff while you do age-appropriate things with the little guys.

If do decide to go through with this party as you've outlined, I can only heartily suggest that you basically run it as 2 separate, simultaneous parties and have at least 3 adults running the activities for the little ones, at least 2 for the older kids, with another 2 adults taking care of the food, another 1-2 doing potty runs, at least 2 doing clean-up detail, and another extra person or 2 who can help out where needed. Any less than that and you're going to have complete and utter chaos. Alternatively, could you maybe have the little guys from 12-1:30 (and serve an easy lunch) and the older kids from 2-4? Then the family members could just stay for both parties, but you could send the neighborhood kids/school chums home? Might help keep the numbers more workable.

Next on your list, you have to have loads of age-appropriate activities planned. That means that you need one group of activities for the little ones, and another group for the older kids. Figure on changing activities at least every 10 minutes for the little guys, and every 15 for the bigger ones. And assume that you'll need at least twice as many activities as you think will fit into the time alloted--LOL (they always get done way, way faster than you think they will).

If you want to do science experiments for the older kids, there are lots of kitchen science books. You might be able to find some in your library. The book Cooking Wizardry for Kids is an exceptional kids' cookbook that combines recipes, food lore and kitchen science. A little pricey, but a great resource to have for your children to use at home. The nice thing about kitchen science experiments is that they usually use inexpensive, common household items, AND that they teach everyday science lessons that are important in daily life.

Has your son done the mild experiment? Put about 1/4" of milk in a flat bowl. Drop one drop of red food coloring, one of blue, one of yellow equally spaced around the outside edge of the bowl. Then drop 2-3 drops of dish detergent into the center and watch what happens. I did this for the neighborhood kids for our Harry Potter Party this summer and called it a 'pensieve', but it's really just a science experiment that shows how detergent works--it is fun to watch, though.

Whatever you decide, good luck and have fun.

o

One year we had a birthday party on a warm day. We had all the kids kick off their shoes and socks and take turns removing marbles from a big bowl of icecubes using only their toes. It's silly, fun and refreshing! The one who gets the most marbles wins. We timed them - about one minute per kid so they don't get frostbite! I think I saw it on Zoom.

o

Each of the boys deservs his own party. Don't try to combine them....that's a cop out....throw a party for each.
My daughter has 2 children who's birthdays are only 5 days apart, there is no way she would consider a "shared party".
Do 2 parties and your problem is solved.
Linda C

o

I agree absolutely with Lindac. It is their special day and should be treated as such.

Both are old enough to have some input into what they would like their parties to be within your budget.

One other suggestion I would make is to have each child have one friend of his own age be allowed to visit on the day of their sibling's party. A ten year should not feel "stuck" with a bunch of five year olds and a five year old needs to refrain from being the "little pest" at his older sibling's party.

Treat your boys as the individuals they are. I have seen to many sibling relationships ruined for the lack of being allowed to be autonomous from their brothers and sisters.

They should be allowed to develop their own social lives. That includes not tagging along to friends parties uninvited. (yep I've seen it done)

A family birthday dinner/celebration could be combined but not the party please.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here