Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Let's try a question about toys!

Posted by annellis (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 04 at 18:38

Have you found that a playroom works best or toys in the bedroom works best? I find my dd (4yr) doesn't seem to want to go to sleep as well w/a room full of toys. Some people I've talked to say no way would they have their child in a room w/toys, because bedrooms are for sleeping! I don't think I agree w/that, but I need the extra room for my office.

What has worked for you?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Let's try a question about toys!

My kids have their toys in the bedroom. I've tried to get them to play in there, but the trainsets and other major items alwaysseem to find the way out to the main living areas. If we had room, we'd have a playroom.

o

My boys had their toys in their bedrooms, no problem. I allowed them to read for a half an hour before they had to turn out the light. Reading always relaxed me and made me sleepy. I thought it would do the same for them and maybe teach them how much fun it is to read.

o

We have most of the toys in the playroom but also toys in the bedroom & even a dollhouse in my room. It works as long as I don't have them scattered througout the house & everything has a place.

o

When my first was born I thought all the toys should stay in her room and she should play in there with them. Boy was I naive! Kids don't want to play all alone in their room OR a playroom, they want to play where they can see and hear YOU!

After having four children and overflowing toys I found the best idea for us was to keep a toy closet. I found a huge locking cabinet (actually I think it was a metal locker) and all the toys with pieces had to go into their own containers and be put away before they could get out another. This worked unbelievably well for us and taught them to put away one mess before they started another.

Stuffed animals and such I look at as room decorations and either go up on shelves or in a toy hammock strung in a corner.

Like Michiel says, the main thing is to teach them that every thing has a place that it "lives" and it gets put away when done.

I also agree very strongly with Jonesy about the reading before bed. We had a routine with reading at night. I do it and I expected them to do it. After a certain hour you get in bed and read. You can read whatever you like for however long you want but that's all you can do. Reading helps calm your mind down and turn inward to help you unwind. Of all the important things you teach your kids, the love of reading ranks right up in the top five most useful.

o

my youngest son alawys likes to take a book to bed with him
i think that he likes to look at the pictures more than anything and he does like to have a story read to him every night before he goes off to sleep .
the toybox stays in the boys bedroom ,but alas the toys are continually strung all over the house :-).
Zeke

o

Although my son is still in a crib, we have baskets all over the house for toys/books, etc. I have a plastic clothes basket in his room for toys so we can just throw them in whenever he makes a mess. There's a big floppy Rubbermaid basket behind a chair in the LR for toys, etc. so it's out of sight and DS likes to go back there and play. Then everything can just be dumped either in there or in the pack and play when we're done (which is never, LOL). I also have a long narrow basket down low so he can reach that has his "bookies" in it and he likes to read while I'm changing his diaper. It's amazing how it can look like a cyclone one minute and then clean the next because everything can just be thrown in and nothing really has to be organized.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here