SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larntz

How to break the news?

larntz
14 years ago

My dh and I have 2 sons, 11 and 17, both are good kids. DH is 40, I just turned 39. I work part-time at a hotel and am back in college full time. This summer we have been looking at colleges with our older ds. We don't have much money - things are always really tight. We live really close to dh's family, and they are all in the same boat, financially. My family lives several hours away, and we see them a few times a year, but we're not very close.

This weekend we went to my younger sister's wedding. On the drive home, I was carsick, which almost never happens. My dh had noticed a few other things, and when we got home he went out and bought a pregnancy test. That thing turned positive so quickly, I didn't believe it it could be right. There were two in the box, and both agree. So tomorrow I'm going to the doctor. I must be about 8 or 9 weeks along at this point. We'll know more soon.

The thing is, I don't know how to tell anyone. While this is a *very* unexpected thing for us, we want to be positive about it. I am hopeful that the boys will be okay with it. But we are both pretty sure that dh's family will be upset. They are good people, but sometimes say hurtful things without thinking about it. As much stress as we have all had with money lately, I worry that this will not go well. I'm sure I can't control what they say or feel, and that's fine. I'll deal with whatever, and one or two might even be happy. But all of the "you're finally done with babies" and "you'll never have to deal with THAT again" and "thank goodness you don't have to worry about college for three kids!" types of comments over the years make me nervous.

How do we tell them we're going to have another baby? What's the best way to let the close family know? I need really specific ideas for what to say, or how to present it. Any help is SO appreciated -- thanks!

Comments (6)

Sponsored