SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jannie_gw

College Blues

jannie
17 years ago

My daughter Roxanne graduated from high school in June and turned 18 in July . She was planning on attending college. Next week we were all going for orintation,student and parents. Today, she came to me crying. She told me she wants to withdraw, "take a semester off", work full-time and live at home. She also broke off with her boyfriend of two years. We're all upset. Her dad wants her to go to orientation anyway, just to see if she might "change her mind". I say it's not the end of the world, some people need more time to find their way. DH is upset because she's loosing her health insurance because she's 18 and not a student. We also want to be supportive,but how far should we go? We bought her a used car as a going-to-college-gift. She says she'll use it for work. By the way, they offered her a raise to $10.50 an hour for full-time. DH thinks we should apply "tough love" and charge her some rent. She just keeps crying, "why are you doing this to ome?" If we charge rent, how much sghould it be? Should it just be a nominal amount,like $100 a month or should we check prevailing real estate rental prices? She recently applied for car insurance, and it's going to cost her $1845 for six months! My mind is going a mile a minute. She's my baby and I am disappointed, but I'm trying to be optimistic that this is not the worst thing in the world. Other people have taken time off between high school and college. What would you do?

Comments (6)

Sponsored