Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can I see it when it comes out?

Posted by cindyg1 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 12:44

My sister-in-law, 8 1/2 months pregnant with her third child, comes to visit us one day. As he looks at his Aunt Joannie, I can tell my 10 year old son is deep in thought.
After she leaves he looks at me and says "Mom I know how the baby gets in there but just how does that baby get out of there?".

Being the good mother that I am, having always answered his questions truthfully, I go upstairs and get our medical guidebook. Finding the page on childbirth I show him pictures of both a regular delivery and a c-section.

As he's looking at this entire page he looks at the diagram showing the ovaries, the fallopian tubes and the uterus. The diagram itself is showing an egg traveling down the fallopian tubes. He points to the diagram and says "So Mom, how come it comes out of that side and not out of the other side?".

So I explain, one month it comes out of one side, the next month comes out of the other side".

"Oh you mean like when I get to sit in the front seat one-time and Dana gets to sit in front the next time?".

"Yes, I guess it's a lot like that".

"Okay so what happens when there's no man and there's no baby made?

"Well the mother's body sheds the egg. And this is happening to most of the women around you all the time".

He glances over at his grandmother who is washing dishes in the kitchen sink. "Grandma?".

"Nooo this process closes down for women when they get older".

"Dana?", referring to his 12-year-old sister.

"It hasn't started happening for Dana yet, but it will very soon" I explain.

"Sooo Mom, you're going to have an egg this month"?

"Well yes".

"Can I see it when it comes out"?

I very gently explained to my son that first of all the human egg is far too small to be visible. Secondly the mother's body also sheds the lining of the uterus that was preparing for a baby and that there was blood involved in this process. And that it was a very private thing that mothers do not share with their sons.

My son is now 22 years old and majoring in Engineering/Pphysics at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can I see it when it comes out?

His inquiring mind has taken him to a good place, and your patient times answering his questions truthfully have helped him. Good for you.

o

I thought this was a cute anecdote.

o

no wonder he went into physics. physics was always a mystery to me the same way human body is. your son loved to solve mysteries at 10 and likes to solve mysteries now. i'd like to believe you helped him along the way to become a mystery solver :))) nice story.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here