SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cindyg1_gw

Can I see it when it comes out?

cindyg1
15 years ago

My sister-in-law, 8 1/2 months pregnant with her third child, comes to visit us one day. As he looks at his Aunt Joannie, I can tell my 10 year old son is deep in thought.

After she leaves he looks at me and says "Mom I know how the baby gets in there but just how does that baby get out of there?".

Being the good mother that I am, having always answered his questions truthfully, I go upstairs and get our medical guidebook. Finding the page on childbirth I show him pictures of both a regular delivery and a c-section.

As he's looking at this entire page he looks at the diagram showing the ovaries, the fallopian tubes and the uterus. The diagram itself is showing an egg traveling down the fallopian tubes. He points to the diagram and says "So Mom, how come it comes out of that side and not out of the other side?".

So I explain, one month it comes out of one side, the next month comes out of the other side".

"Oh you mean like when I get to sit in the front seat one-time and Dana gets to sit in front the next time?".

"Yes, I guess it's a lot like that".

"Okay so what happens when there's no man and there's no baby made?

"Well the mother's body sheds the egg. And this is happening to most of the women around you all the time".

He glances over at his grandmother who is washing dishes in the kitchen sink. "Grandma?".

"Nooo this process closes down for women when they get older".

"Dana?", referring to his 12-year-old sister.

"It hasn't started happening for Dana yet, but it will very soon" I explain.

"Sooo Mom, you're going to have an egg this month"?

"Well yes".

"Can I see it when it comes out"?

I very gently explained to my son that first of all the human egg is far too small to be visible. Secondly the mother's body also sheds the lining of the uterus that was preparing for a baby and that there was blood involved in this process. And that it was a very private thing that mothers do not share with their sons.

My son is now 22 years old and majoring in Engineering/Pphysics at the University of Wisconsin-Platteville.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio