Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bedwetting........

Posted by dcrowex (dcrowex@aol.com) on
Thu, Aug 9, 07 at 10:00

My grandson is 5 yrs old and has started wetting the bed. He has had accidents in the past but it has been a long time. Now it seems he is doing it most every nite. We make sure he is not drinking a lot of fluids before bedtime and that he empties his bladder. He is very healthy, no problems, very happy little boy. No emotional issues we are aware of. The only upcoming change is he will be starting Kindergarden in a month but its hardly talked about right now and when it is, he is very excited about it. We are very cautious to comfort him about this and tell him "accidents happen" and I think he is embarrassed when he keeps waking up wet but now we are wondering what is going on. Any ideas?
my daughter was mentioning this morning about perhaps getting some of those pants he could wear to help keep him dry and right away he said, so i have to wear a diaper like a baby? of course we explained that was not the case but it tells us he is getting very self conscious about it. what makes kids start doing this all of a sudden?
thanks, deb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bedwetting........

Look for a medical reason....and when that has been ruled out...consider that he's more concerned than you know about school.
Linda C

o

Its A Sign Of Him Beeing Gay. I Read About It in a magazine.

o

What? It has nothing to do with being gay!

o

Ahem. It's safe to say we can simply ignore Lloyd, he's getting his jollies here. Just trying to get a rise out of someone - yawn.

It's good to rule out medical, good to keep him talking, and good also to not freak out about it - your reaction will have more to do with the outcome than anything.

Be sure to keep a plastic sheet on the bed, and ask him how he feels about pull ups. They now have "boxer" pull ups which are a little more "grown up" and less punishing. When there is an accident, simply react as if it is just another day. Have him participate in changing the bedclothes and washing, not as a punishment but simply as a natural outcome - Most kids grow out of this, but since we don't like to talk about it, lots more kids than we realize have accidents up into their prepubescence, sometimes longer.

Always good to get stuff checked out medically.

o

My daughter had this problem too. The peditrician said it was because some children have smaller bladders than others and that hers would grow in time. Dont make a big deal out of it and buy the pull-ups so he wont be embaressed.

o

I learned from Dear Abby to double sheet my kid's bed - vinyl sheet, then cotton, then another vinyl, then cotton. When my kid wet his bed he got up, stripped the two top layers off, changed his own clothes, went back to bed.

Problem cleared up on its own real fast.

o

Both my kids, one boy, one girl, took a LONG time to be dry at night. They were far more frustrated and upset than I was. Both had been dry all day since age 2-3. It was just a matter of waiting for their bodies to mature. Once they were dry at night, they were always dry. I think both of them were 6 when it finally happened. Vinyl mattress covers and pull-ups saved my sanity though I did joke about shopping for Depends soon. (But not around the kids!)

o

dcrowex, hopefully your ds's bedwetting is resolved by now!

I wanted to point out, though, to those who said not to be concerned, that bedwetting IS a matter of concern for a child who has been dry at night "for a long time". I would definintely see a doctor to rule out UTI, stress, illness, etc.

My son, age 7, still wets the bed. But I am not concerned, because he has never been dry at night for any length of time. Dh (and several of his cousins) wet the bed occasionally until middle school, and it still happens every now and again to my 10 year old - apparently, the bedwetting gene just runs in dh's family.

And for those whose kids are just bedwetters, with no medical issues: my ds is really embarrassed that he still wets the bed, and, convinced that he is too old for pull-ups, refused to go to camp or spend the night away from home. His pediatrician gave him a prescription for Desmopression, which has worked out great for him. It is a nasal spray, taken at bedtime, which decreases urine production. I let him use it when he will be sleeping away from home, and he hasn't had an accident during a sleepover since. So many kids have allergies or asthma that his friends must just assume it's for that (I'm sure he doesn't tell them!) It's not a "cure", just a temporary fix, but it has been very useful for him for occasional use.

o

I am happy to report that after the sudden onset of bedwetting (after being dry since potty training), this lasted several months and he has now been dry for a few months now. He used the nighttime pullups and whatever it was, bladder maturing or whatever, he outgrew it and all is fine now!
deb

o

Do you know if this is more common for boys? By DS's, almost 7 and 4, both wet 5 our of 7 nights but have both been day dry since age 2.5. We've tried night wakening, no evening drinks, no evening sweets, you name it, but they are both such sound sound sleepers that they just can't seem to wake up. Sometimes I worry that they know they have pull ups and figure there is no need to wake up, but the thought of going without is not pleasant. Any words of advice? DS7 is scared to have overnights with his cousins or friends because they might figure out his boxers are really pull ups. He gets so upset when he is wet and I am at a loss as to how to help him.

o

Justnotmartha, I mentioned Desmopressin in my earlier post - it is the only way my DS7 has been willing to go on a sleepover.

I'm no expert, but bedwetting sure seems to be more common for boys than girls. Our kids were all potty trained when they were 2, but both girls quit wetting the bed by age 4, and the boys, much later. It runs in dh's family, and there have been a couple of girl bedwetters, but mostly boys.

I thought at one time that pullups were preventing my boys from staying dry at night, but now they sleep in underwear, and still wet the bed. They strip their own sheets, and remake the bed after I wash their bedding. I have them do this because I thought they would be more motivated to stay dry, if wetting the bed meant more work for them. But I don't think it has made a difference - it just seems to be something they grow out of eventually.

If your ds is serious about stopping bedwetting, you might check into a nighttime alarm - I have read (and my pediatrician agrees) that it is more effective than anything else (his boys were bedwetters too). We bought one for ds7, but he didn't like wearing the sensor in his underwear, and was discouraged that it didn't work immediately (I think it normally takes at least a couple of months).

Please let your boys know they are not alone! It is really pretty common, especially at their age.

o

Justnomartha, As frustrating as this sounds, it is my understanding that as long as there is no physical problems, kids do outgrow this but at different ages. I am also to understand it is more common in boys but my niece was a bedwetter till probably close to 10. They did everything, the alarms, waking her up at night, the whole things but nothing changed and all of a sudden, she just stopped. One thing my DD notices with the 5 yr old is that she used the pullups on him for a few months and then started "testing" him again to see if he was still going. He seemed to be wet even in the pullups but she wondered if he was comfortable sleeping in those and it did not make him aware. so she had him start sleeping wihtout them and for some reason, he was dry again, whereas he has been going in the pullups. She used the rubber sheeting just under the sheet. on the nights he became wet, she would put a big beach towel over the spot until morning and just wash the sheet and rubbber sheet. since it didnt affect the mattress it was not too bad.
if your DS stays all night, be sure he is comfortable wearing sweats or shorts over this boxer pull ups, you are right. the last thing you wnat to happen is have him be embarrassed at a friends house.
deb

o

Hello everyone,

So here is my experience with those alarms: I stopped bedwetting at the age of 28. It was really a nightmare to live an adult life as a bedwetter, but I finally managed to overcome it. I tried out some moisture alarms (http://bedwettingalarm.info/) and after two weeks my body learned not to bedwet. It's suuuuch a relief, I can't even describe that...

Be strong!
Stacy

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedwetting Alarms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here