SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
blackcats13

young girls and self esteem - please help!!

blackcats13
15 years ago

Man I hope you guys have some good advice for me. DSD is almost 10. She's not "skinny". She has a bit of a tummy and as she so sadly pointed out today, "it jiggles and it's fat". It's not. She is hugely affected by marketing. She cries a lot. I've never lied to her and we had a good (I hope) discussion this evening about all of this. I said 'I've never lied to you and I won't now. You are NOT fat. You are not super skinny. You are normal." She shook her head vehemently. Then we talked about her looking at other women in her life for beauty, not advertising. Her mom is curvy/heavy, my sis (who she adores) is very curvy, her dad's sis is very curvy, we talked about how all of these women were so beautiful. I could tell by her response that she really does think they are beautiful, but to her, she is fat and ugly. She's not fat. She is a little chubby. Like many children today she needs to be out doing not inside on the pc. And in all honesty, she is just fine the way she is, it's only a problem to her.

DH has taken her out "jogging" a couple times (her idea) but she gives up after a block. No amount of explaining how you start small and build up makes a difference. She has decided she can't do it. We only have her weekends, so have no say in after school activities.

We do limit her pc time, we bought her a bike and moved to a neighborhood where she could ride it around without 100% supervision. We always eat healthy meals when she is with us and talk about health, not weight. I know this is "normal" that this starts so much younger then when I was her age. I know she gets teased at school, but she does have several friends and likes her school. I had self esteem issues at that age, but they weren't related to how "beautiful" I was at that age. I know those teen years are coming up, I just want to help ease them, even if it's only a little. DH found some self esteem thing on the Dove site that she was engrossed in for awhile. What can I do?? It breaks my heart, she's such a beautiful little girl!

Comments (11)

Sponsored