SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laurilye_gw

girl of 10 who won't say thank you

laurilye
16 years ago

My son's been seeing a lady for two years, and she has a cute little daughter, who is very comfortable asking to go where you are going, if she likes something I have, she asks, she helps herself around here, and I am glad of that, I just am trying to show that she's not shy, or quiet, she just won't say thank you. I took her to get two fish and for a tank she asked if she could have, We drove 25 miles, went to two stores, she picked the fish herself, and after I spent $25.00,

she just talked about the fish and who she was going to call of her friends, but she never said thank you. This little one and her parents are living with me for a while, so I have seen this time and time again. When school got out, I took her to a fun farmers market for the day, to celebrate. I didnt spend a fortune, we had lunch, listened to some great music and oooood and awwwwwwwwwwwd at all the flowers and handwares, she got a couple trinkets, and it was time to go home. Not a peep. Not "I had a fun day," not a word to imply she knew someone had done anything especially for her.

I don't believe I can change much here, she is ten. I have taken a chance to make her say thank you, after we get home and she wants a shirt I bought for her from the bags, I have said well, I don't know, did you say thank you for buy ing me a shirt when it's not even my birthday, I musta missed it. I am being funny, not scolding. She will say it but she hates the reminder, and perhaps it is wrong. SO does any one have an idea. I am very consistant at saying please and thank you to her because I believe this is going to give her grief in school and when she is company at someones home. That's all I know to do at this point. I don't want to get to where I dont do any thing for her, that's not fun. But I need her to show she is aware someone gave their time and their money, just to please her and she should feel good about it. I don't think she ever thinks of that. She is just busy thinking of what she wants to do next..

Any tips, Im no miss manners but I myself feel embarrassed when she neglects to use these two little words that are so important.

thanks

laurilye

Comments (12)

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone