SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lindakimy

Adult daughter - not grown up

lindakimy
15 years ago

I hesitate to post...dd is very internet savvy and I wouldn't want to embarrass her. But I am so concerned.

My dear daughter has had a run of bad luck - and she has added to it by being lazy and lacking in initiative. She was laid off in January and still doesn't have a job. She DOES have credit card debt...that I fear she isn't paying. She has lost two places to live and is now staying with me. I don't mind that IF she will use this opportunity to pay her debts and find a job.

I know this is a common problem - lots of kids hit rough spots. But I don't know what to do. Should I actively try to teach her how to deal with the problems? Has that train left the station? Will she resent my "information" so much that she will just resist? How much HELP should I try to give her in her job search? There are people at work willing to try because they like me but what if she doesn't live up to their recommendations (she didn't when dh found her a job a few years ago).

I dearly love this girl. And there are stresses in how she gets along with my husband (they don't like each other). I find myself in the middle a LOT. I am strong and I can take that IF I can feel sure that I am doing the right thing.

Just how much help - and what kind - should I be giving her?

Comments (5)

Sponsored