SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
summer_rose_gw

Am i wrong for staying with my boyfriend?

summer_rose
16 years ago

I am 26 and my boyfriend (Greg) is 38. We have been dating for 4 years now. I have been living on my own since I was 22. When we first met, Greg had a car but I didnt, and he used to either take me everywhere I needed to go or let me borrow his car. About 5 months after we met, I got a car, and then his broke down about 5-6 months after that. So we just ended up sharing my car until he got another one (this lasted for a few months). Since we were sharing the car, Greg decided to help me with all the expenses (he always put gas in the tank, and even offered to help pay my insurance but I told him that was not necessary. I did have to get the muffler replaced and he did pay for that). While we were sharing my car, my stepfather saw Greg driving my car one day and he was furious. He expressed how angry he was, but it eventually blew over. One weekend, Greg had to go to NY (from PA) for business and he asked me to go with him. So we decided, since I was going with him, that we would just drive my car instead of flying or taking the train. I called my mom to let her know that i would be out of town for the weekend and she asked how we were getting to NY. When I told her that we were driving my car, she was heated. She accused me of letting Greg use me for my car, and told me that I was not allowed to go to NY that weekend. Against my mother's wishes, I went anyway. I felt that she did not have the right to tell me not to go out of town. When I got back, I called my parents to let them know I was back. My mom asked me if I could come over, and asked me to bring Greg. When we arrived, my parents told the both of us that they did not want Greg to ever drive my car because they paid for it, and they did not buy the car to let some guy drive around in it (the car was a gift from them. Our neighbor wanted to get rid of it, and let us have it for only $250, and my stepdad paid an extra $200 to get the car to pass inspection). They kept saying, "why should you be the one paying for gas and insurance when he is the one driving it around everywhere?" I told them that this was not the case, and that Greg always offers to help me with expenses, but they insist that he is using me. They also said that they do not want me to get my money involved with his, and that I do not have any business letting Greg help me pay for stuff. Greg got upset because he felt that they were treating me like a child and that they were in my business too much. We exchanged a few other words, then left. According to Greg, the only reason my parents would react this way is because they dont approve of him. So Greg decided to take matters into his own hands and did the unthinkable; he got on the phone and blurted a lot of my family's personal information (financal issues, arguments between the family, etc) to a lot of people we know. Greg and my parents know a lot of the same people. Needless to say, my parents and I were furious. Greg apologized to me for doing this, but he just can't apologize to my parents. He says he wishes he could take it back, and realizes that was very childish of him, but he feels that they should also apologize to us, and that I need to stand up to them more. Greg also thinks I should make them realize that they were wrong that night. Ever since this happened, my parents are always lecturing me about Greg, and they think everything is his fault. If I ask them to borrow $10 or $20, they will say something like "you wouldn't need to borrow money if you didn't have to support your boyfriend all the time." This all happened 3 years ago, and we are stil together, Greg and my parents do not speak. A few times, Greg has spoken to them in passing, but my parents said nothing back. Besides this issue, our relationship is perfect. We get into spats sometimes, but overall, we are happy with each other. We want to get married, but this issue is getting in the way. I know Greg refuses to apologize because he is letting his pride get in the way. And I know my parents wont make an effort to mend things because they are still hurt. i just dont know what to do. If I ask either party if we could get together to work things out, they both refuse. I was going to somehow get them all together for dinner without letting them know my intentions, but I think they will just get upset and leave. What should I do about this? And am I wrong for staying with Greg after what he did to my parents?

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living