Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
So what does summer look for those with older kids or teens?

Posted by bnicebkind (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 30, 08 at 9:51

For those of you who have older kids and teens, what does summer look like at your house? Do you require them to do chores each day, and if so, what and for how long? How late do you let them sleep? Do you have their friends hanging out at your house everyday, or are your kids at friends houses? Do you require them to read, or brush up on math each day, or just have fun? Do you have them in camps, or volunteer jobs, or paying jobs, or just do what ever they want every day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: So what does summer look for those with older kids or teens?

What's with all your question on 2 posts? Are you doing some kind of research on teen behaviour?

o

No research, but I am wondering how other families are handling all of this.

o

For those of you who have older kids and teens, what does summer look like at your house?
Wonderful chaos!

Do you require them to do chores each day, and if so, what and for how long?
Age specific chores - one a day for 5 days when they were younger; five per week to be done at their leisure when they were older.

How late do you let them sleep?
My daughter could never sleep past 9. My son... he asks to be awakened by 9:30 if he is not up already.

Do you have their friends hanging out at your house everyday, or are your kids at friends houses?
Both

Do you require them to read, or brush up on math each day, or just have fun?
Summer IS for fun... but, since I have readers, both of mine read everyday for pleasure.

Do you have them in camps, or volunteer jobs, or paying jobs, or just do what ever they want every day?
Camps if they wanted to. They do volunteer work year-round, summer included. Paying jobs when they were older (they needed gas money!).

o

Do you require them to do chores each day, and if so, what and for how long?

Depends on what needs to be done. They all help with dishes daily. They straighten up their rooms often and are told to pick up behind themselves. A few times a week they clean bathrooms and vaccuum and dust.

I do not wake them up unless we have plans. The latest any of them have slept on their own this summer is about 10ish.

Do you have their friends hanging out at your house everyday, or are your kids at friends houses?
Both, though I like their friends here so I know what they are all up to. And we have a pool so a lot of the time their friends want to come here.

Do you require them to read, or brush up on math each day, or just have fun?
Summer IS for fun! But most days we all read a little bit. I will turn off tv's and radios and we will all sit on the couches with books and read to ourselves. I also bought age appropriate workbooks for the summer. Every few days they work in them on math skills and reading strategy skills. I also had them in a month long readers theater program where they met one night a week to read a play. At the end of the month they put on a play with the other kids.

Do you have them in camps, or volunteer jobs, or paying jobs, or just do what ever they want every day?

They are too young for jobs (ages 6, 9, 11, and 13). They all are in one volunteer program where the older 3 read to younger children once a week. The youngest is paired up with a different older child and gets read to once a week. It is through our public library. The older two are also helpers at the library and spend an hour one day per week helping reshelf books and doing paperwork for the summer reading program.

o

For those of you who have older kids and teens, what does summer look like at your house? Fun! we have four kids and our days are both busy and laid back.

Do you require them to do chores each day, and if so, what and for how long? Yes, their rooms must be kept clean, they clean up after meals, dishes, mow the lawn with dad (take turns) and bring laundry to me, help fold and they put away.

We have early risers except DD and we do make her get up no later than 9 and go to bed no later than 11.

Do you have their friends hanging out at your house everyday, or are your kids at friends houses? Both but mostly we all go to the beach or concerts in the park.

Do you require them to read, or brush up on math each day, or just have fun? They are readers and so am I. Even when we go to the beach with friends there are moments when everyone is reading including me.

Do you have them in camps, or volunteer jobs, or paying jobs, or just do what ever they want every day? They have camps for fun, DD volunteered at DS camp, she babysits, we camp with other families and alone as a family. The kids each will have a week at grammy's house alone and we will all go for a week together. We also have catch up days where everyone stays home and no friends allowed, no phones, no computers, just family.

o

Dh and I both work during the day, so 3 of the kids are in summer camps. They go on field trips, swim, play games and have bible study, so it is mostly just fun. They help with dishes or laundry during the week, and have weekend chores to do, the same as when they are in school.

My oldest child (almost 13) felt she was too old for day camp, so she stays at home with me on the days I work at home. When I'm away, she either babysits for the neighbors, goes to a friends house, or goes with dh to do plumbing jobs.

I don't ask the kids to do any academic work during the summer. They read for fun (and prizes at the library) and spend time building model cars/rockets and lego houses/vehicles.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here