Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camping ideas

Posted by mom2emall (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 18, 08 at 22:19

So this weekend we are going to a camp ground with the kids and some family. This is the first time we are taking the kids camping and I just wanted to get some ideas on fun things to do with the kids while camping. The girls are 11 and 13. The boys are 5 and 9.

Thanks!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camping ideas

We went camping for almost all our vacations and trips for years, and had many traditions. My kids and I had almost as much fun getting ready for our camping trips as we did on the trips themselves.

My kids didn't get sugary snacks and junk food at home, so before our camping trips we went to the grocery store and I let them pick out the sugary cereals they wanted to eat while camping, and other special treats.

They are voracious readers, so picking our library books for the trip was a huge deal, and making sure they had flashlights for reading in bed!

We never spent much time in our campsite during the daytime - we always camped near the beach, the lake, the river, or some tourist attraction, and we were gone swimming, hiking, etc. during the day.

We almost always brought our bikes along, so our kids liked to bike around the campground. Often there were other kids at the campground, so when the kids were younger they'd find playmates at the campground. If you'll be staying at a campground where there will be other kids, it might be fun to bring along a long jump rope. I would sometimes find books at the local library for the kids to learn things like origami or braiding hair, and they could do that together at the picnic table. A puzzle might be fun for the family. Camping trips are great times for kids to do "classic" games like marbles, hopscotch, barrel-of-monkeys, etc.

At night we played cards, board games, sat around the campfire and roasted marshmallows, and caught fireflies. A fire provided hours of entertainment - scrounging up wood to burn, starting the fire, poking the fire, putting more twigs and wood on the fire, poking the fire some more....

Have fun on your trip!

o
RE: Camping ideas

Fun, we also have four kids and your kids are the best ages to camp. I agree during the day the beach, walks, sports keep the kids busy... Think about fishing poles, baseball gloves and a ball for pass, wiffle ball bat and ball no gloves needed makes a great game and if you are camping you are sure to pick up some other players, frisbee, kickball, beach ball for pass or volleyball, paddle ball ( I love small items) marbles (research directions or make them up)

Board games, card games like UNO, SKIPBO, etc

Books, books, books- word search, suduko, blank paper(this is a must for our troop- for letters, tic, tac,toe, hangman)

Firetime is fun for smores, stories, talent shows, verbal games like 20 questions, lyrics to songs, movie quotes, etc

Have an awesone time making family memories:)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here