SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dreamhouse1_gw

What's appropriate at 13?

dreamhouse1
15 years ago

My 13 year old daughter is 'going-out' with a boy from school. Apparently 'going-out' is the new term for 'I have a boyfriend' because they don't actually go any where - they are 13. However, they spend a lot of time talking on the phone and texting each other. He did come to her dance recital and she wants to go see his baseball games, though I haven't taken her yet. The only time that they are together is when I allow her to have friends over, usually a mixture of boys & girls, for the day - swimming & movies. Sometimes she is invited to one of the others' house for the same, sometimes he is there, sometimes he isn't.

Don't get me wrong, he is a wonderful kid, as is she. This isn't about me wanting to keep THEM apart, it's about what exactly is APPROPRIATE at this age? My husband and I grew up in different scenerios, so we are not exactly sure what is okay and was is a bit much - of course we feel it's ALL a bit much! We want her in her room playing Barbies! But in reality, she isn't and we can't make her. She is a very social person, we just moved to a new area last year and she is developing friendships with a group of kids that we really like and feel are appropriate company for her, and the 'boyfriend' is among them.

Any opinions on what has worked or NOT worked for you?

Thanks in advance for any in-put and advice.

Comments (15)

Sponsored