SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
freezetag

DD's potty-phobia is making life complicated!

freezetag
15 years ago

My daughter (age 5), fears automatic flushing toilets. And toilets in unfamiliar places. It's not a recent thing - she has been this way since potty training; it's just that it becomes more and more of a problem as she gets older, and goes to more unfamiliar places. Mostly I just carry a change of clothes for her, and make sure she uses the bathroom before we leave the house.

Yesterday, though, her babysitter told me that dd wouldn't use the bathroom at the movies and had wet her pants. Her babysitter drove back to get a change of clothes, but obviously, this is far above and beyond what I could expect her to do on a regular basis!

Sometimes they go on field trips lasting several hours, and it's not practical to ask whether dd can bring a change of clothes everywhere she goes. Leaving it in the vehicle is also not always an option (e.g. going back to the car while at the zoo or museum might take 20 - 30 min).

So my options are:

1. Have dd wear pull-ups on field trip days

2. Have dd stay home on field trip days (which will involve my using a vacation day or hiring another sitter)

3. Figure out how to get dd over her potty-phobia (it seems to be flushing that is the most frightening)

Anyone have any other ideas (or know how to accomplish option 3?)

DD used to be terrified of the bathrooms at her school, but last summer we visited the school on a regular basis and did some conditioning which involved:

- being able to walk past the stall

- going into the stall

- being in the stall while I used the toilet

- using the toilet, then leaving before flushing

- using the toilet, then staying in the stall while I flushed

- using the toilet, and flushing afterwards.

So that probably seems odd, but it worked and she was able to use the bathrooms all year at kindergarten with no problems. But I don't know how to condition her for the unknown bathroom. Maybe we could take a pre-field trip trip every time (not super practical, but more so than hiring another sitter).

I'm hesitant to post this - it seems so ridiculous. But dd's fear is very real to her, and we really do need to figure out a solution!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!