Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nursery Themes

Posted by TeresaVA (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 11, 03 at 12:00

Just a fun little post. I am due in Dec (first one!) and have started thinking about themes for the baby's room, and wanted to hear what you did. We aren't going to find out the sex, so it should be suitable for a boy or girl.

I've been thinking of Noah's Ark. And as a bonus my SIL has some Noah's Ark things from her kids (still in good condition)that she would let me have.

Other then Pooh Bear, I don't know of too many more out there. I'm not crazy about the Mickey Mouse/Looney Tunes things.

So how did you decorate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nursery Themes

I wanted a generic teddy bear theme, but ended up with the Blue Jean Teddy Bear. I wasn't real thrilled with that, but someone made me all the stuff.

o

I'm not really a "theme" person, but for our first, we had a fair amount of classic Pooh stuff. The walls were buttery yellow, the bedding was going to be either blue or pink gingham and we had some beautiful Alice in Wonderland prints that had been framed in a light wood.

With my second, we knew it was a boy and painted the room a fairly bright green with some of the same stuff on the walls as before. We had gotten quite a few things from Tiffany (business people who have no kids of their own!), like silver rattles, crystal rocking horse, Drummer boy child's china, and although useless, they give the room a really lovely old fashioned feel.

I have a friend that's very into Disney and her son's nursery is VERY Disney. It is definitely not my taste, but she loves it.

o

We converted our old guest room - painted a soft yellow - into the nursery. It is now decorated with a "backyard wildlife" or nature theme. I quilted a wall hanging with bunnies, birds, butterflies, bees, spiders, dragonflies, frogs, etc... Almost any critter you could find in your backyard. (Well, except for skunks and armadillos!) I hunted down fabric for each animal - ex: the appliqued bunny is a soft blue bunny print, the appliqued butterfly has wings with a butterfly print, etc. With the leftover fabric, I made a small quilt for the baby. I made a cloth organizer for the end of the crib out of blue and yellow bumblebee fabric, the lamp is a bug desk lamp from Target, picture frames are buggy, as are wall prints. My mother kept saying it would give our child nightmares, but he loves it. He has stared at that wall hanging since he was just a few months old. We now stand and look and point at all the different critters. The room turned out real nice - not 'disturbing' at all. Best wishes! ~ Suzie

o

My friend's son is a pilot, so they used blue and white--fluffy clouds, sky, etc.

o

I would skip the whole "theme" thing and find fabrics that you love. No one understood why I didn't do a theme w/my daughter's bedroom -- everything was in beautiful pink and white waverly fabrics, toiles, stripes, soft florals and checks. She was born in March so we rec'd a fair amount of bunnies, but we used a little bit of everything and it was beautiful.

My son's nursery was in denim. Again, no theme but lots of airplanes, trucks and cars plus animals everywhere - it looked wonderful and we weren't roped into the whole disney or pooh thing.

o

When i was trying to decide what to do (I'm due in Nov.) I liked several things:

Just plain gingham or stripes, with pastels in multi colors
Americana
Nursery rhyme characters

I finally narrowed down the nursery rhyme characters and settled on Beatrix Potter. Not much out there! but sometimes you can find things. The walls are yellow and the fabric I found (on sale at Joann's) is a white background with Peter Rabbit on it. We did find out we're having a boy, so for accents I used a blue gingham. I agree, though - too much Precious Moments (yuk!) and Pooh, although the Classic Pooh is nice - just overdone, IMO.

o

I did the classic Pooh for my son 4 years ago when I was pregnant. Now, 4 years later and pregnant with my THIRD boy, the Pooh theme is still going strong! (I am also due in December - only 6 weeks to go thank goodness!!). I liked it b/c it is great for a girl or a boy (I didn't know either with #1) and you can find classic Pooh stuff EVERYWHERE. Disney, Target, Walmart... so it won't cost you an arm and a leg to decorate. Plus, we went with the Ecru and I think that it is a very soft look and not overpowering like some theme rooms can be.

I got the crib stuff, bumpers,... at Babies R Us and then the rest of the stuff just everywhere else. We got the most beautiful classic Pooh Lennox honeypot as a gift for his room. I still love that pattern!

I have included pics of the nursery here. There are two nurseries actually since we moved when my first son was one. I put the border up in the second nursery. We are moving again in Feb. and I will probably do Pooh again since I alreay have all the stuff! (Another great thing about it is that it didn't go out of style.)

Regardless of what theme you get you REALLY need to find, "quick change sheets" and buy two of them. They have saved my life! They are very soft cotton on top and waterproof on the bottom. It is just a rectangle that matches the size of the crib (it doesn't go around the mattress, just sits on top). It has 6 snaps so you just snap it around the crib rails. Then, you can change it sooooo easily! And, you won't ruin your mattress b/c it is waterproof when those accidents happen!

Good luck!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Classic Pooh Nursery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here