SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ashli_gw

How can you 'legally' force a roommate to move?

ashli
15 years ago

I didn't know where to post this question...so I chose here.

Our daughter lived in an apartment and did well on her own...Then, a co-worker, a friend of several years, asked to live with her and share the rent payment until..."I can get back on my feet."...For a few months ( as for as I know) the 'friend' contributed money for the rent and utilities.

Then, my daughter rented a 3 bedroom, 2 bath house...I was suspicious and didn't trust her 'friend' to live up to her verbal agreement to pay her share of the bills...and tried to persuade my daughter to let her 'friend' go her own way when she moved...One bedroom is decorated with cats' toys and towers for daughter's 3 cats.

My daughter is too trusting! Only her name is on the signed lease.

Anyway, it has been seven months since they moved to the house...During that short time, the 'friend' has taken out three loans (that I know of) and bought a new car...and stays on the go when not working, going out with her other friends...living as if she had plenty of money, which she doesn't...People are going to the house trying to collect money she owes them...she ignores them.

My daughter tells DH things that she'd never talk to me about...the 'friend' hasn't helped to pay rent or anything else for months now...I think she just makes her car payments(?)...and lives to have fun. She's a divorced 33 year-old woman who's 3 children live with their dad.

Freeloader.

Odd, that she and my daughter seem to still be friends...DD is struggling to pay the bills because her job hours were cut.

My solution is to get rid of her and have someone move in that can help with the bills...DD just shook her head at that idea...I hate to stand by and watch her let someone take advantage of her...that woman is never going to "get back on my feet."

I know that DD would have to ask her to move(?) and that doesn't seem likely.

Nothing we can do legally to get her to move?

I wondered if we, DH and I, moved in with them for awhile would that persuade her to move and he said, "Probably not."

None of our business?...Maybe not, but still...

Comments (17)

Sponsored