SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jiggreen

teen illegally downloaded movie, now i'm in trouble!

jiggreen
17 years ago

teenagers, can't live with them, can't kill them....uggg!!

my 17 year old apparently has downloaded movies off the internet onto the computer in his room. this kid is a computer whiz, he is light years beyond me in his computer knowledge, he encrypts stuff so that i have no idea what i'm seeing when i check his computer..so i have to rely on his honesty (or dishonesty!) as to what he is doing. i received a "Notice of Action under the Digital Millennium Copyright Act" letter from my isp today. i am completely freaking out here. i am not sure what it means, if i will be sued or not. i know my isp has stated that they have the right to cancel my service, which i understand and if that is the only thing that happens i will feel very grateful. what i am worried about is being sued. i've read the horror stories of parents being sued over their kids illegal downloads of music. i know that i need to be ever-vigilant of my teen's use of the computer, and i try to be. i am contemplating removing the computer from his room and putting it into a more visible area of the house, and monitoring what he is doing. he will be 18 in september and i hate having to treat him like a child, but i guess i need to in order to protect myself. my question is not how to deal with my teenager (nor am i asking to be blasted for this situation occurring in the first place, so please no lectures, i'm feeling fragile and i might cry!!).

what i am wondering is if anyone out there has found themselves in the same predicament and how they handled it.

thanks,

jiggreen

Comments (6)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm