SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hilltop_gw

Piano lesson dilemna

hilltop_gw
18 years ago

About a year ago a family asked me to teach their children piano lessons. I'd been asked many times before by others and declined but my kids were older/gone so this time I said yes. In the meantime I also added another neighbor girl as a student. Bottom line is I hate it. I'm an excellent pianist and I get along great with the kids and they like coming, but I just don't enjoy it. I have a home office that I work from & lessons mean missed phone calls & rearranging that work schedule. It's not really a money making endeavor anyway. It ties me down and we're constantly having to change schedule due to school activities. Lessons are supposed to be a half hour, but the parent's of the one girl just drop her off & don't come till she makes the long distance phone call home asking they come pick her up so the half hour turns into an hour (she's helped me cook supper, hang drapes, etc. while waiting for her parents). The kids are terrific & talented so that's not an issue. Problem is there is no one else in the immediate area to teach. Several others have recently asked me to teach their kids & I've declined. If you were in my shoes, should I force myself to continue teaching for the greater good of the kids or fess up to the parents that I really don't care to teach and give them a months notice to try to find someone else even though it might no lessons or them having to drive a distance to find a new teacher?

Comments (14)

Sponsored