Return to the Parents Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Affordable health insurance plans?

Posted by kayjones (plant_lady2@hotmail.com) on
Fri, May 11, 07 at 22:11

Is there such a plan?

My husband died in April of this year. My stepson (17 yrs old), and I (57), were covered under his work health care plan. As of June of this year, we will have to find another plan or go with COBRA.

I have been looking into other plans, but at quotes of $5-600/month for both of us, I can't afford it. I checked into the one where I work, and it would be $400/month with a $1,000 deductable. As you might imagine, my husband made WAAAAY more money than I do, and our income has been cut by three-fourths.

If anyone has any ideas/suggestions, I'd appreciate hearing them. Thank you in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Affordable health insurance plans?

I haven't had any experience with this kind of situation, but a friend and her family did. They bought hospitalization only. They paid for all of their doctor's visits and were insured for hospital and doctors visit there. It saved them quit a bit. What's wrong with Cobra?

o

There are all sorts of loopholes to be wary of. I would so NOT recommend buying only hospitalization insurance.
Cobra insurance is expensive and very poor coverage!
The plan at your work would likely be the best....but I urge you to read all the fine print and exclusions.
Many people change jobs to have a good health care plan...it's that important.
Linda C

o

You may be caught between the proverbial rock and hard place. Depending on your income you may qualify for low income healthcare, IF it is available in your state, call your local County Welfare office. Otherwise, GOOD healthcare that is AFFORDABLE is not always there.

I am sorry for your loss.

Vickey-MN

o

I am very sorry for your loss, words don't express this well enough. Get a "Certificate of Credible Coverage" from your husband's employer in order to go on your work plan without pre-existing conditions. I cannot stress this enough. Yes, make sure it's the coverage you want.

COBRA is the exact same coverage you already have under your husband's plan. Albeit expensive, you can continue with it until you make up your mind. It's not less in any way, unless you have a plan that is currently inadequate.

What is COBRA?
The Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1985 (COBRA) requires most employers with group health plans to offer employees the opportunity to continue temporarily their group health care coverage under their employer's plan if their [or in your case, your husband's] coverage otherwise would cease due to termination, layoff, or other change in employment status (referred to as "qualifying events").

Here is a link that might be useful: COBRA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Parents Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here