SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sissyfran

Child with acid reflux

sissyfran
15 years ago

Hi all!

I'm a new oldie to this website. I'm in need of advice. My 11 yr old DD has had a terrible winter with a bout of influenza, severe colds, stomach flu. After suffering with different aches and pains that kept her up at night, the doctor diagnosed acid reflux. It had gotten so severe that her esophagus is damaged. She is in constant discomfort and at times much worse than others. She is on prevacid, carafate, pepto and then I give her tylenol or motrin for pain. Nothing seems to be working. Blood tests haven't come back yet to show us anything different. She has the constant nausea, and the feeling something is stuck in her throat and a bad taste in her mouth. I've found out that these are all traits of reflux usually after it's gone on awhile without treatment.

We are now at the point where I have to force her to eat something, anything. She is scared of being sick for fear that is will make the pain worse and the condition worse.

I'm at my wit's end. We've got out tomato based products (she loves ketchup and sauces), chocolate, caffeine and foods high in fat. So what she eats is being monitored. I've explained to her that not eating is just as bad so she gets a bit down.

Any input from those of you who may have gone through this?

I would appreciate whatever wisdom you can offer.

Thanks

Sissyfran

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living in Columbus, OH